Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi, I have just puchased a 6200 all in one printer.  I went on to the HP website in order to download software and link the printer to my lap top.  Whilst i was looking at the screen a live chat popped up offering help.  He gave the name David Abraham.  Ultimately, because i am not computer savvy he suggested that he remotely controlled my lap top in order that he could intall the soft ware for me.  This all seemed fine, then he had problems and said something was blocking it but that he could ask his technical supervisor to fix it. At this point i thought it didnt sound genuine so said no thank you and disconnected him. I have been frantically trying to contact HP to discuss and find out if he was a genuine employee and if this is a service that is offerred from the web site.   If any one on this forum can offer any advice or put my mind at rest, or otherwise i would be very grateful!! Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@lope1

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Most agents use a Pseudo name as instructed by their team leaders and hence it would be impossible to track them within HP as we are a global company, That said, the process of remote session works exactly how you've described , be it any corporate business entity, we cannot take control of your device unless you accept an invitation and disable (Avast) firewall at times to ensure a good connection.

If you ask me, it seems genuine, as long as they haven't asked you to pay though you are covered by HP warranty or your computer isn't working after they got in and now they are asking for money to unlock it.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@lope1

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand you want to know if the computer was hacked,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you go to the Official HP Website and then chat with an agent?

If yes, that would be a genuine HP chat agent and therefore, is not a hacker, 

Besides a hacker wouldn't attempt to fix your device free of charge, so it looks like you are good to go! 😉

Do get back to me if you have any other queries.

That said, If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi, thankyou for taking the time to reply 😊
I'm pretty sure we were on the genuine HP site but the language the person was using started to sound suspect, saying things like 'oh my god' he said I had load of error messages and that he would get a senior technician to deal, also there was a moment that my avast security popped up asking about a removable storage device. Just to clarify I was sent a link to click on, I had to save then run something then check 'yes' to allow him to take control of my lap top. I've been unable to contact HP, all the phone numbers are unobtainable 😐 it would be great if I could check that David Abrahams is an employee.
HP Recommended

@lope1

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Most agents use a Pseudo name as instructed by their team leaders and hence it would be impossible to track them within HP as we are a global company, That said, the process of remote session works exactly how you've described , be it any corporate business entity, we cannot take control of your device unless you accept an invitation and disable (Avast) firewall at times to ensure a good connection.

If you ask me, it seems genuine, as long as they haven't asked you to pay though you are covered by HP warranty or your computer isn't working after they got in and now they are asking for money to unlock it.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.