Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Here is the fix that worked for me. It requires digging into the registry of the server that WJA is hosted on. What happens is this smal bit of code does not allow the HPWSProAdapter to start. Inserting this small piece of code fixes that problem. I have have included the instructions and the link to the support forum that showed me how to do this. Doing this manualy fixes the problem until the next update or reboot but following the instructions in the link can help you resolve this problem on a more permeant basis. 

Open the registry and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\HPWSProAdapter

Edit Multi-String “Environment”

Insert: COR_PROFILER={03191964-0505-1966-BD0E-E92B0C04964F}

When you are done, it should look like this:

COR_ENABLE_PROFILING=1

COR_PROFILER={03191964-0505-1966-BD0E-E92B0C04964F}

SystemRoot=C:\Windows

https://support.hp.com/lt-en/document/c03743763

HP Recommended

This did not work for us. The registry key looked exactly as you posted, and the HPWSProAdapter service was running.

Thanks for the reply, but I guess we have to keep digging. If you have any other ideas, please share them.

@Chris_Bakos wrote:

Here is the fix that worked for me. It requires digging into the registry of the server that WJA is hosted on. What happens is this smal bit of code does not allow the HPWSProAdapter to start. Inserting this small piece of code fixes that problem. I have have included the instructions and the link to the support forum that showed me how to do this. Doing this manualy fixes the problem until the next update or reboot but following the instructions in the link can help you resolve this problem on a more permeant basis. 

Open the registry and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\HPWSProAdapter

Edit Multi-String “Environment”

Insert: COR_PROFILER={03191964-0505-1966-BD0E-E92B0C04964F}

When you are done, it should look like this:

COR_ENABLE_PROFILING=1

COR_PROFILER={03191964-0505-1966-BD0E-E92B0C04964F}

SystemRoot=C:\Windows

https://support.hp.com/lt-en/document/c03743763

Print Technician @ Intility AS
HP Recommended

Have you looked at your SNMP settings on the effected devices? Sometimes with firmware is updated (mostly on newer FS4 devices, but I have seen this on older devices as well) SNMP either sets a strange "Set Communinty Name" or "Get Commumnity name"  password, or disables the ability to Read and Write. SNMP V.2 should be enabled (at least) and should have Read and Write privledges.  You might also try enabling SNMP V.3 if availalbe. 

Additinally you should confirm that you are not blocking your server at those devices with some level of access control. 

HP Recommended

@Chris_Bakos wrote:

Have you looked at your SNMP settings on the effected devices? Sometimes with firmware is updated (mostly on newer FS4 devices, but I have seen this on older devices as well) SNMP either sets a strange "Set Communinty Name" or "Get Commumnity name"  password, or disables the ability to Read and Write. SNMP V.2 should be enabled (at least) and should have Read and Write privledges.  You might also try enabling SNMP V.3 if availalbe. 

Additinally you should confirm that you are not blocking your server at those devices with some level of access control. 

SNMP settings:

15_35_03-I2-Technician-B-Desktop - Desktop Viewer.png

They are changed for testing now as we have this problem.

Access Control is disabled.

The whole network have also been checked, there is nothing thats blocking the traffic. Also Local Firewall are turned off atm.

HP Recommended

It mighta also help to update to the latest feature pack. For WJA 10.4, I think the latest feature  pack in FP7. These can go a long way towards solving small annoying problems as well. 

HP Recommended

Version is now 10.4.10.3287 (10.4 SR3) with Feature Pack imported and applied.

Still seeing the problem.. Tested with SNMPv3 as well.

HP Recommended

I have runned Wireshark on the server and I can se that ICMP protocol are unreachable. Anyone know if this can create this problem?
I cant see this issue when I am running wireshark and are refreshing the printers that currently are working.. This might be the root problem we have been looking for? I am not a Network tech so I don't know how to fix it but I will get back to you once our network department have changed something.

EDIT:

Our Network department have looked at it without finding anything that's being blocked. I am completly lost when it comes to this issue.

HP Recommended

WJA usualy communicates with each printer via SNMP. This is happening over port 161/162. Each printer handles this a little differently with some communicating directly with this protocol, while others need a "Pro Adapter" service to handle the communication. If the HPWSProAdapter service is not runing, or not properly configured, then your HP "Pro" Series devices will not communicate properly. Roughly this is smaler Color LaserJet devices (400 Series and the like) as well as PageWide and Pro X series devices. 

Make certian these devices are runing current firmware and update that firmware directly from within the EWS. 

Make certain that your HPWSProAdaper service is running and has the right code in the registry (mentioned earlier in this same thread) 

Make certian that you are running at least WJA 10.4 and preferably with a Feature Pack above V4. V7 is the most current feature pack and rolls all of the previous pack fixes and updates into it.  

Make certain that every device has SNMP enabled on the device and that it has read/write v.1/v.2 enabled. This is especally true if have recently updated to FutureSmart V.4 on any of the effected devices as this is disabled by default. 

HP Recommended

Was there ever a complete resolution to this issue?

I have a fresh install of HP Web JetAdmin 10.4 SR3 (10.4.103287) with Feature Pack 7 installed. My host environment is Windows Server 2016 running in VMware vSphere. I have about 30 HP printers in JetAdmin, most of which are working fine. My problem devices are M1536, M401, M402, M451, and M477. All of those report "Device Communication Error". The M402 and M477 in addition also show "<Unknown>" under Device Model.

I've confirmed the HPWSProAdapter service is running, and the registry key looks the way it should.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi, I often see such errors when the firewall blocks certain ports.

First, make sure that the Web Jetadmin is allowed to communicate with the devices through the necessary ports without restriction.

https://support.hp.com/lt-en/document/c04918344

But in rare cases it is also due to the data of the WSProAdapter.

In this case you can try the following:

1.  Stop the HPWJA service
  2.  Stop the HPWSProAdapter service
  3.  Remove the directory including subdirectories and files: C:\Program Files\HP Inc\Web Jetadmin 10\HPWSProAdapter\FileSystems\MachineData\Panther
  4.  Create the directory: C:\Program Files\HP Inc\Web Jetadmin 10\HPWSProAdapter\FileSystems\MachineData\Panther
  5. Start thd HPWJA service
  6. Start the HPWSProAdapter service
  7. Perform a device discovery

I hope I could help you.

Best regards

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.