Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laserjet 4000T
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I did succeed in connectiong my Laserjet 4000T to my new Windows 10 (64bit) laptop.

The old driver (some PCL5 driver for W7 didn't work (had top have administrator rightsm which I have, but installation remained blocked), so I had to search for another.

The only one I found does connect correctly to the printer and prints fine, but I did loose the use of the 2 extra papertrays I have.

Which driver should I use?

Thanks, grtz, Jack

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The 'automatic discovery' feature used by some drivers on installation (or update) doesn't always work; ensure that the driver knows that the additional trays are present on the printer:

• For the printer instance in question, bring up the Printer properties dialogue.
  • Select the Device settings tab.
  • Ensure that the relevant tray is set to Installed rather than Not installed.

You'll probably need to be logged in with administrator credentials in order to change the device settings.

For example (not for your printer model):

Capture.PNG

HP Recommended

HI, looked like the solution, but unfortionately that option is not available:

extra trays not available.png

I did notice however en very long list of trays and extra trays. I set tray 1-3 to A4, but this didn't do the trick neither ...

more trays.png

But maybe some other way to solve this you can help me with. Now I have found a PCL5 dfriver specificaaly for the Laserjet 4000 series. If memory serves well, the driver I use(d) on my other computer is a GENERIC PCL5 driver, filename upd-PCL5-X32-5_2_6_9321.exe. But I cannot find such a driver. Maybee this will solve it?

Thanks you!

HP Recommended

I don't know why the dialogues you get (with your "Laserjet 4000 Series PCL 5" driver) refer to the trays under "Form To Tray Assignment", but not under "Installable Options".

Perhaps if you set "Automatic Configuration" to "On", then rebooted the printer, it might make a difference?

>> ... the driver I use(d) on my other computer is a GENERIC PCL5 driver, filename upd-PCL5-X32-5_2_6_9321.exe. But I cannot find such a driver ...

This is a reference to a (32-bit) PCL5 variant of the HP Universal Printer Driver (UPD).

But, from Windows 10 onwards, this variant is no longer supported; the only variants available are the PCL6 (PCL XL) and PostScript (PS) ones.

I've no idea if either of these will provide the functionality you require with your LaserJet 4000T model. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry, did mislead you I think.

1) The images I sent (why not visible?) refer to the driver I fond for the 4000, and with which I have the problems with the trays.

2) Tried what you suggested: I set automiatic configuration to "Update now" (only option available). There was a minor change I did notice, the option went back to "Off", but no change with regard to trays.

How do you reboot the printer? I switched the power off and on. No change.

Then I went and set all the trays that are not availbale to ... not available. And yes! in printing preferences there are now 3 trays available. Now I have to find ouot if these all can be reached, that's for later.

3) PCL5/PCL6: Can you direct me to the PCL6 driver? I tried to find it, but did not succeed.

To be continued!

Thanks,

Grtz.,

Jack

HP Recommended

Hi, did receive notification that an answer was posted, but I don't see notnig new ...

So, please post your answer again?

Grtz.,

Jack

HP Recommended

>> ... The images I sent (why not visible?) ...

The images you added to your previous post should be visible now - it sometimes take a number of hours before an attached image is approved and hence becomes visible.

>> ...  I went and set all the trays that are not availbale to ... not available. And yes! in printing preferences there are now 3 trays available ...

I'm not sure that I understand  what you set - your previous post indicated that the driver printer properties dialogue did not include the trays as "Installable Options" - or is "not available" one of the choices in the drop-down list for the "Form To Tray Assignment" for each tray?

Whatever you did, you now say that 3 trays are available - so are you able to select them for printing?

>> ... Can you direct me to the PCL6 driver? I tried to find it, but did not succeed ...

On the HP web site, there don't appear to be any drivers available for the LaserJet 4000 for anything more modern than Vista.

However, it seems that this printer was supported by (earlier versions of) the Universal Printer Driver.

So if you search for and download the current (Windows 10) PCL6  UPD, it may (but, of course, may not) work with your printer.

>> ... did receive notification that an answer was posted, but I don't see notnig new ... So, please post your answer again? ...

I haven't posted anything new since my response yesterday morning (UK timezone) which mentioned the "Automatic Configuration" setting.

HP Recommended

Sorry for late reply ....

About not available trays: In the drives device settings I can set this property per tray, it is one of the available options in the dropdown list. See image

not avail.png

And YES, I'm able now to slect the one or the other.

But I'm not as happy with it as I was with my PCL5 driver, so I tried lo locate the PCL6 driver you mentioned. But I cannot find it (or I am looking wrong):

nav.png

So maybe you can help me specifying the correct searchcriteria or,m even better, supply me with the direct link to it?

Thanks for your troubles,

GReetings,

Jack

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.