Nanblues Tutor
Tutor
8 0 1
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post

Wi-Fi connection Issue

OfficeJet 5740
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

When I configure my wireless settings, the printer will stay on wi-fi foronly 5 minutes tops or untill the current print/scan job is done.Worked fine on my comcast supplied modem. I just switched to an Arris SVG2482AC. If I plug my printer directly to the modem it prints and scans fine. Any help would be great. Thanks

14 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
673 51 50
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post

Wi-Fi connection Issue

@Nanblues

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

I got to know from your post that the printer keeps disconnecting from your home wireless network. Not to worry, I'll be glad to help you out. However, for an accurate solution, I would need more details:

I can see that the Arris SVG2482AC is dual band, is the printer connected to the 2.4Ghz network or 5Ghz network?

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?

Let me know!

senan6806
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Nanblues Tutor
Tutor
8 0 1
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post

Wi-Fi connection Issue

I have done the trouble shooting steps and nothing there. I have not assigned either 2.4 or 5 to the printer. Should I?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
673 51 50
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post

Wi-Fi connection Issue

@Nanblues

Thanks! Yes, I believe the printer should be connected to 2.4 Ghz network. You may use the steps available in page 33 from this document to enable 2.4 GHz network. Please make sure that the 2.4 Ghz network and 5 GHz network have different SSID. Once you enable 2.4 GHz network. Use the steps below to connect the printer to the 2.4 GHz network:

1.) From the printer control panel, touch Wireless.

2.) Touch Settings.

3.) Touch Wireless Settings.

4.) Touch Wireless Setup Wizard. Follow the display instructions to complete the setup.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

senan6806
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Nanblues Tutor
Tutor
8 0 1
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post

Wi-Fi connection Issue

I assigned the printer to the 2.4 Ghz network with a different SSID then the 5 GHz. The only item on the 2.4 GHz SSID is the printer. 

Just as before, worked for about 5 minutes and then dropped the connection. The on-line blue light is solid. The printers display says it is  on-line. If I call up the network settings that says it is on-line. Most of the time at this point the printer will now be availible to my desktop and pads. What seems to get the printer back on line is me looking at the network settings for the printer using the printers control panel. 

I should be able to "wake" the printer from any of my devices on my network and note have to wake it myself using it's control panel. It worked fine till I switched to the Arris Cable Modem. 

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
673 51 50
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post

Wi-Fi connection Issue

@Nanblues

Assigning a manual IP for the printer may resolve the issue, let's try these steps:

Please ensure the printer is up-to-date with its firmware. If you are unsure, you can download and install the latest firmware update from here.

Once you are up-to-date with the firmware, please set a manual IP address for the printer. The steps on how to set a manual IP address can be found here.  

Keep me posted!

senan6806
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Nanblues Tutor
Tutor
8 0 1
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post

Wi-Fi connection Issue

Have tried the steps of assigning a manual IP. This shows when I run a Network Conf report. I have also made sure the printer is at least six feet away from the modem by placing it in a different room then where the modem is. The printer is on it's own SSID and has a channel of 11. The same exact problem still exists . If I run a report from the printer control panel or restart the printer I will have wireless for approx 5 min before dropping the connection. My IPad and IPhone can print but I assume it is due to air-Print. 

My whole reason for having this printer is due to it being wireless. I am not sure what else I can do at this point

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Nanblues Tutor
Tutor
8 0 1
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post

Wi-Fi connection Issue

Was also wondering if the security settings for the 2.4 GHz SSID might not be correct. The two offered during setup are

TKIP – Temporal Key Integrity Protocol

AES – Advanced Encryption Standard (recommended). AES is the default encryption type for the SVG2482AC.

I have not changed these.

HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11790 1119 2241
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post

Wi-Fi connection Issue

@Nanblues,

I read your post. Thanks for the update. As @senan6806 is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf. 

The wireless encryption and security settings will need to be the same as configured with the other devices of the network that connects to the router.

If you are not sure what it is, then you need to contact the vendor, ISP or the router technician who setup your home network.

Thanks and have a blessed week ahead..

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Nanblues Tutor
Tutor
8 0 1
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post

Wi-Fi connection Issue

I have checked and double checked the security settings....  They are the same across all networks. Is there a way to reset the printer and possibly start fresh?  There has to be something with this modem VS the modem I had from Comcast. Comcast modem worked perfecly with the printer. I have even checked the software for my Mac and that is fine. The printer firmware is also up to date.

Thanks

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation