05-21-2019 10:05 PM - last edited on 05-22-2019 02:16 PM by Cheron-Z
Don't know if anyone will see this.
My officejet 6978also will NOT print color. It won't make a color copy either. IT makes all prints and copies in Black and White.
Yesterday, it would only print in color. I manged to change it to gray scale, but now it won't change back. I will select "color", but it still prints in B&W. I have tried a hard reset, but it did not work. I;ve tried numerous different docs and applications, but no change. I printed the print quality pge which came out mostly blank, and only with B&W
I get ink from instant ink... which means all of these unusable copies are being counted against my total.
This is not the first problem I have had. I also get a black line across all of my copies, and I get a lot of poor quality copies that I can't use. (streaky color, etc, even after head cleading and test prints that are fine.) I'm so disappointed.
05-22-2019 04:17 PM - edited 05-22-2019 04:18 PM
A warm welcome to HP Community!
We might be able to resolve the issue by power resetting the printer and then performing an automated/manual cleaning. Here is how to do it:
Please ensure the printer is up-to-date with its firmware. If you are unsure, you may use the steps available here to update the printer firmware.
1) Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector.
2) Remove all of your ink cartridges from the printer and close the door.
3) Remove the power cord from the back of the printer (Do no press the power button)
4) Clean the ink cartridges, refer to step 3 from this document.
5) Plug the power cord back into the printer
6) Wait for the printer to turn on completely, then install the ink cartridges.
7) From the printer control panel, open the Setup menu.
😎 Open the Printer Maintenance or Tools menu.
9) Touch Clean Page Smears or Clean Smear.
10) From the printer control panel, open the Setup menu.
11) Open the Printer Maintenance menu.
12) If necessary, open the Tools menu, and then touch Clean Printhead. Touch Clean Again to continue the next level of cleaning. Repeat these steps for the third cleaning stage
If it's still not printing in color then it's possible that it's a defective cartridge and you should be able to arrange a replacement ink shipment using HP Virtual Agent. Here is how to do it:
1.) Log in to your instant ink account from here.
2.) Once signed in, click Virtual Agent.
3.) Type not printing in color, the virtual agent will suggest some troubleshooting steps.
Once you complete the troubleshooting steps you should be able to submit an order for replacement ink using HP Virtual Agent.
Let me know how it goes!
If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee