Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have been unable to find out if HP has issued drivers for the LaserJet 2100 to be used in a 64 bit Windows environment. I tried the driver section, but am unable to check whether the driver exists [it may be me, my computer, or HP that prevents the driver section web page from opening, but I have tried and failed several times]. I am planning to buy Win 7, but will delay for some time if I can't continue to use my excellent old 2100. I would appreciate any help on this matter. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is a universal driver available for PCL 5, PCL 6 and PS available for download from HP.com.  The Laserjet 2100 drivers are also available through Windows Update in Windows 7.

417iB52D2DC11A492BC3

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

There is a universal driver available for PCL 5, PCL 6 and PS available for download from HP.com.  The Laserjet 2100 drivers are also available through Windows Update in Windows 7.

417iB52D2DC11A492BC3

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

that worked conencting directly to the printer but it sure didnt like trying installing it using the shared network printer. guess i needupdate its shared drivers on the printer server

HP Recommended

To add a 2100 driver to print to a shared printer on the network do the following:  go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a New Port, Local Port, \\Computername\Sharename  (Use the appropriate computer and printer share names), then install the 2100 driver by selecting it from the list. 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Hey Bob!  I'm having HUGE issues with HP Support (that I've paid for) where I getting people in Costa Rica that are not sure what their doing?  Is there a possibility that you can help or look up this ticket number that you may offer help to them (so they can assist me)?  Ticket @ 46253663  (Mind you this is my 3rd ticket number on this exact printer issue).

Any help would be appreciated!

HP Recommended

@Rawben wrote:

@hey Bob!  I'm having HUGE issues with HP Support (that I've paid for) where I getting people in Costa Rica that are not sure what their doing?  Is there a possibility that you can help or look up this ticket number that you may offer help to them (so they can assist me)?  Ticket @ 46253663  (Mind you this is my 3rd ticket number on this exact printer issue).

Any help would be appreciated!

I do not work for HP and do not have any access to the the internal support tracking stuff so I am not much use there.  

I saw in another thread that you are using a USB-Parallel converter, these can be problematic.  A few things to check there - make sure that the converter is specifically supported in Windows 7 x64.  The links tagged here have models that folks have verified work with Windows 7 x64.  A possible (and better in my opinion) alternative would be to use a Jetdirect 600N and then connect the printer to your network.  This is likely to be a much more robust solution if you have a spare lan port on your router.  The 600N can be found on eBay at very reasonable prices, several are offered at less than $15 including shipping.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

I'm curious I now have a direct USB 2.0 to Parallel Adapter cable, do you think this will make a difference vs' the initial adaptor I was using where it was two cords connected together?

I'll take a look at the link you sent shortly.  I'm on with HP support right now.  It's still a nightmare.  I truly feel sorry for the tech trying to help as well.  We get the color printer to work, then the laserjet 2100 and then go back to test print on the color printer and it now won't work.  It's a never ending cycle.

HP Recommended

Update - Not completely good news.

Here's where I'm at.  My HP desktop is only 30 days old.  Not knowing, I performed the "transfer" of information from one XP desktop to another.  We believe, this may be part of the problem and that XP information is in my operating system along with Window 7. 

BTW, the cable I have is an Ultra USB 2.0 to Parallel Adapter.  Now, I  must say their support department is less than desirable with regards to questions and answers.  Though their support department suggested that I try the cable and printer setup on another computer and see how it goes.  Unfortunately, my laptop is an XP, so it's really not comparing accurately apples to apples.

I'm going to contact Microsoft to perform a complete restore of my operating system.  By doing so, at least this "transfer" stuff will be gone.  Then I'll try the laserjet 2100 with cable and see how it goes.  If all goes well there, then I'll try the HP photosmart printer. 

I'll keep you posted.

BTWW - I was fortunate to request the technician who assisted me two days ago and he was very helpful.  In addition, I called HP's Canada office and they copied and pasted their photosmart notes from my call to them over to Costa Rica.  Big relief and help to me and my technician today.

Wish me luck!

HP Recommended

Bob,

Do you install this 600N into the printer directly?  Do I need to see if I have a place to install it, or do you know for sure that there is a slot in the laserjet 2100?  I do have a port on my router that's available.  I may need this in the future (see below).

Ok, so here's what I've done.  I've revamped my computer to the day I purchased it (only 30 days ago).  I've been following the instruction from Ultra Products (which I think their support is lacking) for my latest cable and haven't been able to get anything to work.  Unplug this and that, in certain order, then plug this and that in in a certain order to no avail.  I've restarted the printer, etc.  Anyhow, I decided to try one more time and opened the desktop folder this time to the HP Universal 2100 laserjet file and told the printer to troubleshoot (like I did earlier today and it didn't work) and for some reason this time it did WORK!

Now, I'll try my color printer (HP Photo Smart Touch Smart 309) later tonight and see how everything goes. Several days ago we had the color printer ready to go and once he tried the laserjet once to print (and only once did it print), it bounced the color printer and wouldn't allow it to print anymore.  Who knows why.

Thanks again for your suggestions and if I have any further troubles I will get the Jet Direct 600N.  Honestly, I can't believe this has taken so long....daily since the 18th of this month.

My best to you...:smileyvery-happy:

HP Recommended

IT WORKED!!!  IT WORKED !!!!

Big time Kudos to Bob.

I am going to refer some other threads that i have been trying to solve this issue to this thread.

Thanks again Bob.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.