Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro 200 color MFP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer HP LaserJet Pro 200 color MFP M276nw

Great Printer that worked great with my old Windows 7 Professional OS (which had been upgraded free to Windows 10 and still worked great) Computer died.  Bought a new HP All-In-One running windows 10.  Have tried installing the "Windows 10" driver directly from the HP website about a dozen times on on both this computer and my wife's ACER Windows 10 Tablet.  It has failed to complete on BOTH machines.  

On both machines it took 30 minutes after the down load and run the driver install and it failed at least twice - retried each time after restart.  The third, fourth and fifth times that part went fine (5 minutes to 10 minutes to run) but when I plug the USB cable in it takes 30+ minutes to perform the next step - it says it detects the printer but after getting to 99% every time it gives an the following message "Error - the install operation took too long to execute.  This is a fatal error preventing product use. Please restart ... persists contact product support web site for your product."

I am at the end of my patience ....  I have been trying to install the driver on these two machines now for 8 hours.

THANKS PAUL

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello, @Portland_Paul – Hope you are well 🙂

Allow me to welcome to HP Support Forums! It is a great platform to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I understand that you are having issues while installing the printer on your Windows 10 machine. Try the steps listed below to perform a clean install and check:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP LaserJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
  • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
  • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
  • Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
  • Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (there is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Open run again, type “%temp%” and press enter to get the temporary files. Delete all the files here. Skip the items which cannot be deleted.
  • Now restart your computer again.
  • Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
  • Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
  • Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
  • Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.
  • Click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL44392/kj-107661-4/LJ-Pro-200-color-MFP-M276-full-solutio... and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable only when prompted.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Kudos!

One additional step to this list solved the problem: Turn off the HP Smart Install on the printer itself. There is a Youtube video on the procedure for this at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cemymZbtadY.

So for me, all the steps that Dvortex wrote, along with turning off the Smart Install, allowed me to install the printer via USB.

FYI, I was able to do a wireless network install without any of these steps, but had never been able to install with USB until I completed all these steps.

HP Recommended

what the **bleep** kind of solution that you give.....

it is not practical....

HP printer driver not used to be like this...

I dont thing, I would like to buy HP printer anymore...

HP Recommended

At what point should I stand on my head, click my red heels, and say "there's no printer like an HP printer"?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.