Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 4630
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a Windows 10 system reset I am unable to install Officejet 4630 wireless or USB.  Windows 10 is blocking the installation of NT 4.0 drivers.  Does HP have an updated driver that works?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Teh driver works, the problem relies with your operating system itself...

Please follow the steps below to resolve such an error:

**Be aware that if you have other printers installed on your PC, those will need to be reinstalled too once completing these steps.

1. Uninstall the HP Software from your PC.
2. Backup your registry prior making any registry changes:
     https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03485724
3. Update your registry using the Reg file below (that will change some printer related policies for your PC):
     https://www.dropbox.com/s/avbv56zdgwv7600/kernel.reg?dl=1
4. Right click the Start menu and select Run.
     Type Services.msc and press OK.
     Locate and stop the Print Spooler service
5. Browse to c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers.
     Rename W32X86 to W32x86.old
     Rename x64 to x64.old
     Note: if any of these folders fail to delete reboot your PC and then Continue following the steps starting from Step 4...
6. Restart your computer.
7. Reinstall the HP Software and check for any difference

Please let me know the results,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Hi,

Teh driver works, the problem relies with your operating system itself...

Please follow the steps below to resolve such an error:

**Be aware that if you have other printers installed on your PC, those will need to be reinstalled too once completing these steps.

1. Uninstall the HP Software from your PC.
2. Backup your registry prior making any registry changes:
     https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03485724
3. Update your registry using the Reg file below (that will change some printer related policies for your PC):
     https://www.dropbox.com/s/avbv56zdgwv7600/kernel.reg?dl=1
4. Right click the Start menu and select Run.
     Type Services.msc and press OK.
     Locate and stop the Print Spooler service
5. Browse to c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers.
     Rename W32X86 to W32x86.old
     Rename x64 to x64.old
     Note: if any of these folders fail to delete reboot your PC and then Continue following the steps starting from Step 4...
6. Restart your computer.
7. Reinstall the HP Software and check for any difference

Please let me know the results,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you so much.  After a week of pain my printer finally works!  

HP Recommended

I understand this is an o/s problem not HP but for those not comfortable updating our registry, what is HP recommendation going forward? I am having this problem with my HP 4650 after my computer guys had to reload Win 10 this week. I bought this printer in Aug 2016. If I go buy a new one, am I guaranteed it does not have NT4.0  kernel mode drivers?

HP Recommended

I was a little nervous about registry changes too.  Using the link provided the process is pretty much automatic.  It grants permissions needed for the install.  Not to worry,  you have a backup of the registry if it affects something else.  You can always go back if you need to.  So far I have had no negative impacts from this process.   Newest Windows bug is you can't print from the Edge browser due to a queue problem.  Not related to the printer drivers talked about here.

HP Recommended

Thanks Rman71. I have used Regedit before but will let my computer guys who reloaded win 10 after an o/s crash do it. It irks me that HP blames Microsoft. Having been a software engineer for a major s/w company for 30 yrs, I know HP was told for years to stop running their drivers in kernel mode under threat of this new group policy setting. HP chose to continue to reuse old code instead of rewritIng, now it’s my problem on a 1 yr old printer and I need to edit my darn registry file. Because I have Win 10 Home edition I don’t have a group policy editor with that product. Come on, HP! I have been buying HP printers since IBM PC AT days and have always had good luck with them. This is unacceptable.

HP Recommended

Hello momhux1 ,

Can you check if you have Windows 10 Update KB 4016251 installed in your PC? If don't have, please install the stand-alone package for this update . You can find it here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4016251/windows-10-update-kb4016251

Then, try to re-install the driver.

Please let me know if this helps.

Regards,

meg-riley

Although I am a HP employee, I'm speaking for myself and not on behalf of HP.
Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Been at this all afternoon - thanks a lot for the solution!!

HP Recommended

It sure didnt work with my computer. Starting to hate HP & I have used HP since I started using a pc & that said it has been for many years now.

HP Recommended

After many, many hours with HP and Microsoft techs, my issue of installing my HP wireless Envy 4520 series printer was not resolved.   All solutions messaged in this forum and elsewhere were either tried by me or done remotely by techs.  Here is the solution:

Install printer.  It will show on your printers with "driver unavailable."  Then download Jet Advantage EPrint software from HP.  When you go to print, choose "Jet Advantage."  To scan from your printer to your computer, use HP Smart.  If it is not already on your HP computer, install it via HP website.  Now you can print and also scan to your computer without trying to solve the problem of the NT 4.0 driver not being able to be installed in Windows 10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.