Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I tried MANY solutions, but here is the one that worked. It's really quite simple once I realized that it was a policy issue. Took 5 minutes to fix.

https://qlr.ro/installing-older-printers-on-windows-10/

HP Recommended

Belated thanks, meg-Riley. My computer support guys did the registry zap for me and were then able to install the driver. 

Katie

HP Recommended

Thanks Angie823. I will print this off and keep a copy with my printer paperwork for the next time I have to reinstall.

HP Recommended

The Jet Advantage & HP Smart will work with any wireless HP printer,  They must use their own drivers & not the driver of the actual computer.  

HP Recommended

Correction for the last post.  It should read:

The Jet Advantage & HP Smart will work with any wireless HP printer,  They must use their own drivers & not the driver of the actual printer.  

HP Recommended

Well of course these two utiliies serve to circumvent the print driver code that runs in kernel mode in Windows! :Wink:

HP Recommended

Thanks for the solution. The printer scanner works well . But in "devices and printers", it still shows "needs trouble shootng" and "driver not installed". But no problem, the printer scanner works well. My printer is HP 2135.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much!. This solution worked for me on Jan 20, 2018 on my 5740 printer.  A week ago I had to restore an HP Envy laptop thanks to another lousy WIndows 10 update. At that point I couldn't connect the printer.  Finally, I saw a msg about NT4.0 blocking, searched and found this solution. Following the instructions I had to reboot before I could rename x64, but then everything worked like a champ. 

HP Recommended

I can't thank you enough -  after hours with both Dell (computer manufacturer) and HP (printer) technical support, which went nowhere, and another few hours of Googling the error message, I came across this forum. Your easy instructions solved the problem on the first try. All working well now and shame on Windows 10 for pulling this crap.  Thank you again. 

Jim

HP Recommended

Worked for my MFP426FDW Lso

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.