Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Worked like a charm!   Thanks so much!

HP Recommended

Outstanding! can it be shared?

HP Recommended

Fantastic, worked for me also.

Thanks to Tom Boomer, for the clean, simple instructions.l

I was ready to fall into the trap of throwing away a perfectly good printer.

Guy VanDenburgh

HP Recommended

I Tried your approach and all I got was printer error upon trying test page.  My 7550 is attached via usb and I have a 64 bit operating system.  What am I missing?

HP Recommended

TB.....excellent.

Thank u for the guidance.

Would b nice if HP ported this on their site.

HP Recommended

Thanks boomer58 for the step-by-step procedure for connecting my old, unsupported, but still functional hp 7550  printer to Windows 10. It worked flawlessly. Many thanls, again!

HP Recommended

YOU have just saved me from dumping my very faavorite HP Photosmart 7550 printer (with 2 extra ink cartridges of each color!  THANK you so VERY much for the instructions.  It was very quck and easy.  I thought I was in trouble when HP does notsupport the printer and tech support for my new HP Desktop (with Windows 10) said "too bad your printer wont work with Windows 10" .  YOU MADE MY DAY!  Many thanks.  I even signed up for this HP thing so I can say thank you, since I am a senior citizen I usually dont sign into these forum things.  So I hope you know how much I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.  You are a very good person. Thanks again,  

Carol

HP Recommended

Tom Boomer,

Tom YOU have just saved me from dumping my very faavorite HP Photosmart 7550 printer (with 2 extra ink cartridges of each color!  THANK you so VERY much for the instructions.  It was very quck and easy.  I thought I was in trouble when HP does notsupport the printer and tech support for my new HP Desktop (with Windows 10) said "too bad your printer wont work with Windows 10" .  YOU MADE MY DAY!  Many thanks.  I even signed up for this HP thing so I can say thank you, since I am a senior citizen I usually dont sign into these forum things.  So I hope you know how much I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.  You are a very good person. Thanks again,  

Carol Prz

HP Recommended

Had the same problem until I ran into the solution below

Tutor
boomer58

Message 3 of 18 (2,977 Views)
Re: Windows 10 drivers for photosmart 7550

The HP Photosmart 7550 can indeed be used with Windows 10 and with Windows 8.1 for that matter. You just have to manually install the printer and use the compatible driver that is built into Windows.

Here's how. Just follow this simple step by step procedure and your printer will be up and running very quickly.

1. Plug in the printer and connect it to your computer
  2. Turn it on
  3. Right click the start button and click the following:
  4. Control Panel
  5. Devices and Printers
  6. Add a printer
  7. Click The printer that I want isn’t listed
  8. Add a local printer with Manual Settings
  9. Next
  10. Use an existing port
  11. DOT4_001 (HP Print Device)
  12. Next
  13. Under Manufacturer Select HP
  14. Under Printers Choose HP Photosmart 7520 series Class Driver
  15. Next
  16. Select Use the Driver that is currently installed or replace current driver (it doesn’t matter which)
  17. Next
  18. Printer Name appears click next
  19. Do not share this printer
  20. Next
  21. Print a test page
  22. Close
  23. Finish

See you don't need to throw away your expensive high quality printer. You just have to know how to set it up with the new OS.

Let me know if this helps you!

-Tom Boomer

As to the driver use the one for HP photosmart 7520.  It worked the first time and as many times I tried the printer since then.

As a courtesy, send a Thank you reply to Tom Boomer under his posted solution.

NDY

HP Recommended

Thanks for the solution. As the HP driver for 7550 is no longer maintained by HP, the printer works as well as ever using the driver for HP photosmart 7520.  Thanks again.

NDY

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.