Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Windows 10 update removed my  printer software. I downloaded drivers  but my PC won't install them because windows defender says the HP software security certificate is not signed off or not properly signed off. What do I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Mixawixa

Spoiler

Which Browser are you using? Edge?

Can you try IE or Chrome and see if the issue still exist?

Thanks.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

If you are sure you have downloaded from an authentic HP site, then you should be able to proceed with confidence 🙂

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I have downloaded the genuine HP drivers  from the genuine HP site but my operating sytem (Windows 10) is still not allowing installation. Also windows 10 removed the wireless connection to my printer so I have to look for the cable now but that may not help if Windows 10 continues to block HP drivers.

HP Recommended

Hi,

What's your "mysterious" printer model? 🙂

In fact, whey don't you try the HP Auto Wireless Connect (AWC)?

These relevant resources will show you how to do that (2 steps)

Step 1.  Restore Network Settings 

Restore Printer Network Settings

https://goo.gl/9fyrGS

Step 2.   Setup using AWC

Setting up the printer wirelessly using HP Auto Wireless Connect

https://goo.gl/oBY6AJ

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

I've now sent off for a cable and will attempt to connect the printer to my PC again. Step 1. Step 2. When I've completed step 1, I'll try the HP troubleshooting solution again after that. It implies it can download some software to help installation but only when the PC and printer are connected.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your info. I did try previously to connect wirelessly using HP troublehooter but the PC wouldn't find the printer.  The printer is connected to the network though. I could have another go with the software you sent me.

HP Recommended

I think the issue is that I have to download software to connect the printer and I can download the software but not install it. The troubleshooter says it will help to install the software but can only do it if the printer is already connected so that goes round in circles.

The printer is HP6510.

I'd feel happier waiting for the cable now. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for taking an interest. If the  cable connection does not work I will come back here. I just don't want to do anything that may make things worse and that I can't undo, so I'm being cautious in how I handle this. 

The software you recommended is very like what was used when the printer was first set up. 

HP Recommended

I've tried your suggestion but it did not work. 

I've received the cable for the printer and have managed to set it up but only as an offline printer. I can't set it up as an online printer. I need to use HP set up software and Windows 10 simply blocks it "for my security" even though I'm sureit's the right software downloaded from this genuine HP site. My printer is seems it's not compatible with Windows 10. What a shame it was a good printer and reliable. I liked it. I'm wary of investing in another HP printer, even if it's meant to be windows 10 compatible because it may not be in future when more Windows 10 updates happen.

I am surpised that HP aren't more open about which of their printers are now not compatible with Windows 10 and which are and how people can avoid costly problems like this in future.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

HP Photosmart 6510 was launched around 2011?  Windows 10 came out in June 2015.

HP does have drivers to support your printer.

If you have installed your FULL feature software and it is still offline, can you try using TCP/IP port?

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

Let us know if that works

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.