Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Have another go at the official site as in the reply above.  They were a little tardy at putting up the new drivers but they are there now.  

The page is, as always, mindbogglingly complex for what should be a simple task but use the little help buttons to work out what other buttons to press and you eventually get there with only two head-banging-the-wall-in-frustration episodes and half a bottle of whiskey.  One day they will ask ordinary people instead of insider geeks to test the pages before unleashing them onto the unsuspecting public and one day they will create a simple one-button routine that works out which machine and which operating system you have and delivers what you need automatically and one day Microsoft will release a new operating system that works straight away and one day we will see pigs flying over Silicon Valley.

You need to download the full set to enable scan from computer.

HP Recommended

How can the average person update the scan functions?

HP Recommended
@srbobsmom Are you trying to scan from the printer to the computer and the options aren't there? If not, could you be a bit more specific? There are a lot of scan functions.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

With the new software for the 8600 for windows 8 you can no longer easily control the scan functions from the computer. previously this was easy to do using the scanner actions selections "Scan a document or Photo".  That option is no longer when you update the software for windows 8. The controls a work on the printer itself. Previously, the software allowed you to control everything from the computer.  All the icons that are present do not work such as the print icon Under HP printer assistance. According to the wizard all my software is up to date and I have installed twice.

The previous response in the post suggested a workaround but that is not something easily accomplished by most owners of a supposedly fully functioning printer.

HP Recommended
I think I see what's going on. You have very recently upgraded to Windows 8, and you didn't uninstall and reinstall your printer's software for the new OS. Now nothing will work like it should. Luckily this is a fairly simple fix. Uninstall the printer's software and reinstall it using the package intended for Windows 8. I'll link the software below. Let me know what happens.

http://goo.gl/jfLkM
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Finally solved the issue using the HP Print and Scan Doctor to completely uninstall.  I then had emoved printer and added it back using Windows under-- PCsettings--Devices.  I then used the HP wizard to reinstall everything.

HP Recommended

I have the HP 8600 Pro still in the box and plan to install it as soon as I get clarification on a couple issues:

I am aware that it is NOT Windows 8 compatible right out of the box but rather the drivers/software need to be updated.  My question is whether or not the just purchased printer will automatically go to HP during the installation and find the needed Windows 8 driver(s) or must I go the hyperlink you suggested and have the special driver downloaded?

Secondly, I have two Windows 7 laptop computers and one Windows 7 desktop,  in addition to the new desktop with Windows 8.  I will, of course, install the same software for the printers on each of the other computers....but I am assuming only the Windows 8 needs the driver update, correct?

Finally, Does the 8600 printer have to be connected by USB to at least one of the computers are is the printer independently wireless?

Sorry to so far behind most people on this forum, but I don't want to do this but once so I want to get it right the first time.  Thanks in advance for your response.

Regards,

Jack

PS:  The email address listed in my profile etc. is incorrect.  I see a question was posted in 2009 as to how to change or update it..it was never answered and I see NO way to do it either.  So, please use the following email address for your response:{personal info removed}

HP Recommended
You will need to download the new drivers from the link provided. It wouldn't be a bad idea to use the same link to install the printer on the Windows 7 computers as the driver update applies to that OS as well. You should be able to connect the printer directly to the wireless network and install it that way. I'll include a link to the instructions for doing that. The instructions for Installing via wireless for Windows 7 are pretty much the same for Windows 8. For some reason the exact steps for Windows 8 are not in the document yet. Hope this helps.

HP Officejet Pro Full Feature Software and Driver

Installing the Printer Software on a Wireless or Wired (Ethernet) Network
Signature
HP Recommended
Thanks, Shane_R.......got 'er done!

jackbmc
HP Recommended

hi, i can not connect to my printer hp officejet pro 8600 for scaning.

thanks  a lot

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.