Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Where can I download windows 8 drivers for a HP Officejet Pro 8600Plus printer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I think I see what's going on. You have very recently upgraded to Windows 8, and you didn't uninstall and reinstall your printer's software for the new OS. Now nothing will work like it should. Luckily this is a fairly simple fix. Uninstall the printer's software and reinstall it using the package intended for Windows 8. I'll link the software below. Let me know what happens.

http://goo.gl/jfLkM
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Hi:

Windows 8 drivers will not be available until after Microsoft releases W8 for sale.

Please see HP's statement about support for Windows 8 Consumer Preview at the link below.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-8-Consumer-Preview/Welcome-to-the-HP-Windows-8-Consumer-Preview...

Paul

HP Recommended

Windows 8 has built-in drivers for this printer, it only offers basic printing though - no scanning etc.

Simply open the 'advanced add printer' setting and it should find it and install it for you.

If you want the full software there is a way to trick into installing on Windows 8, I've tried this myself and it works. The simplified steps are as follows but you'll need a fair knowledge to complete. I don't recommend trying this unless you understand the steps involved...

1. Download and save the full software package from HP's website.

2. Use 7-Zip or similar to extract the EXE file into a directory.

3. Use Microsoft's Orca tool to edit the OJ860x86 or OJ860x64 MSI file depending if you're running 32 or 64 bit Windows 8.

4.  Choose Transform->New Transform

5. Select Launch Conditions from the left hand side.

6. Right-click on the line that starts 'the operating system of this computer' and select Drop Row.

7. Accept the warning message

8. Choose Transform->Generate Transform and specify a name for the MST within the same directory.

8a. Close Orca

9. Open a command prompt and cd to the directory with your extracted files.

10. Launch the MSI with your transform. For example..

msiexec /i OJ860x86.msi TRANSFORMS=Daves_Mod.mst /l* c:\temp\log.log

11. Check the log file - you should find it ends with a return code of 0 and says product configuration completed successfully.

12. Look in your start menu and you should see a new program called HP OfficeJet 8600 Pro, click on this and follow the wizard to find and configure your printer as normal.

13. Scanning and printing are now possible (scanning is a separate app on the start menu).

It worked for me, hope it helps someone until HP release new software packages as really Windows 8 is pretty similar to 7 when it comes to devices so there's no need for this restriction.

Kind regards,

Dave

HP Recommended

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  You are a genius! This worked like a charm!!!!

HP Recommended

AWESOME - this worked for me as well...  I had to remove the current drivers installed when I was using Win 7 64 bit.  I installed the MS SDK to get Orca available to install and then installed msiexec using the command line:  msiexec /i http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/3/f/23f86204-39ee-4cd7-9a51-db19c9a8f8c4/WinSDKTools-amd64.... /qb

Then - with Orca and msiexec installaed was able to transform as described - the icons were created on my desktop after I ran the msiexec with my transformes MST file...  Then all installed fine and it is working GREAT!

Thanks for taking the time to describe these procedures!

HP Recommended

Er, right.  

And for us ordinary mortals whose HP multi-function printer will only print and not do any other function in Windows 8 we have what exactly?

HP Recommended
Sorry imgoingcrazy, the only other option is to harass HP to release updated drivers which they really should do now windows 8 is officially released.

P. S. If that's you dad then I'll do it tonight for you!
HP Recommended

They've now appeared but you have to fight your way to the usual drivers download page.  

The Windows 8 section is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.  

And, yes, this is a family affair, which is worrying.

HP Recommended
Since Windows 8 has officially been released, you can now download the full feature software and driver. The download for the 8600 can be found below.

HP Officejet Pro Full Feature Software and Driver:
http://goo.gl/jfLkM
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I need help to install my new printer/scanner onto my computer.  I have Windows 8 and am only able to get printer on the computer without installing disk to print.  My Work requires me to scan things.  I run a home business and have already lost 2 days of work trying to resolve this issue.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.