Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Photosmart B209a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently upgraded my internet service and a new modem and wireless router was installed.  I have installed many devices through the wireless network but cannot get the printer to install.  I receive a "MAC address filtering may be enabled on your wireless router" message.  I have confirmed that MAC address filtering is not enabled.  I have reset the factory settings on the printer; rebooted the router; removed and re-installed the software in every conceivable combination I can think of with no change.  I even tried enabling MAC address filtering and added the printer MAC address to the list and received the same error.  I also spent an hour on the phone with my ISP to to help troubleshoot the problem with no improvement.  Of course, since all my other devices work, I was told to contact HP.  I have probably spent 10 hours on trying to fix this.  It has become a real challenge and I will admit I have become obsessed with finding a solution!  I know, I can buy a new printer for $100 or less but I can't help but believe there is a simple setting somewhere that will resolve the issue.  Please prevent my admission to a mental hospital, any suggestions would be appreciated.  

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@dlh2

Welcome to the HP Support Community

Note: Check the router band: Many routers can operate in both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz frequency bands, but not all HP printers support both bands. Make sure the 2.4 GHz router band is enabled and broadcasting. If the router broadcasts separate network names (SSIDs) for each band, connect the printer to the 2.4 GHz band SSID.

Then try connecting the printer to the network.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi Raj,

During the setup procedure I am asked to confirm the network SSID and it is definitely 2.4. The message I get is that it tries to join the network but the printer does not receive any data. The resulting error is the MAC filtering message. The wireless light comes on on the printer so it’s like it sees the network but seems to time out for lack of “data”. 

Thanks very much for the reply.  Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@dlh2

I would personally suggest you contact our HP Support for one on one interaction. 

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp

Step 2. Sign in / sign in as a guest

Step 3. Enter the product number or select to auto detect

Step 4. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 5. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

Have a great day ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Raj,

I am traveling the next two weeks but I will definitely do that when I return.  Thanks again for the advice.

HP Recommended

@dlh2

Keep me posted Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi Raj,

I am back from my trip and followed the instructions for contacting HP support but the only option I am presented is to "Visit the HP Support Community".  It is a 9 year old printer that is no longer under a warranty so I assume that is the reason there is no direct HP Support option.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your advice.

HP Recommended

@dlh2

I have sent you a private message, that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.