Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
cp1025nw
Linux

CP1025NW printer

Linux (Ubunto 18.04) OS

Windows 7 OS

Trying to set up this printer so we can print wirelessly.

4 hours later and no joy.

I have set up an email address for the printer, given it all of the local wifi network info, generated a massive pile of status pages and toner level reports, followed every instruction in the manual to the letter, or as close as I am able.

Unplug cable to enable wireless printing... All communication with printer stops.  No connection, no sign of it anywhere from either windows or linux.

All googling points to "Update firmware."

Firmware will not update; goes to about 10% and stops cold.

Directions indicate I need to enable firmware updating... press the yellow and the go buttons for ten seconds and then...  I never get to the "then" part, all that happens is it prints yet another 2 sheets of status pages, which is no different from any other method of generating status pages, and no difference in the information on the report.  (Well, it did say I have burned through 10% of my black toner just in printing status reports, but the remaining numbers/values are unchanged.)

googling says I need a "claim number" for the printer.  Still have not found that anywhere... Directions say to go to the "Web Services menu" which does not appear anywhere that I can find.

Can anyone please tell me what claim nuber to use, or do I have to file a support case to get one?  Or am I following some completely unrelated instructions for this?  I wouldn't think I need to get some support claim number just to enable wireless printing, I would expect it to work pretty much out of the box other than a little setup... but I am not exagerating on the 4 hours.

Thanks for any assistance.

Shame on me for trying to use hp and linux together, but  I have also tried getting this stupid thing working with a windows machine as well, also with no change in anything.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Never mind.

From HP:

If a Web Services tab is not available, your printer does not support Web Services.

I guess I just assumed it would work wirelessly; didn't realize this model does not.

Thanks for the assist anyway!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi

HPLIP is part of the answer.

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing

WPS is another part of maybe another question..

https://www.reference.com/technology/wps-button-wifi-router-9e7c1302db562994

Your printer needs to connect to your WiFi network first.

When it has an IP address you could try to ping it.

HP Recommended

Thanks.

The first link, HPLIP, I've already tried.  It never could find the printer.  Well, it could find it if it was plugged directly into the computer, but not over wifi.

Second link, WPS, does exactly nothing.

>Your printer needs to connect to your WiFi network first.

I understand this.  I input the wifi name and passphrase, but it never gives any indication if it connected or not.  It never gives any indication of anything at all other than to print out another pair of status/toner level pages.

HP Recommended

Thanks for these as well.

However:

The first link is just the printer's info page.  I've not been able to find anything helpful there.

The second link takes me to a page that says it is troubleshooting for the claim code, but the only info there is a link to an additional page that talks about ink, and the only info there is a link to do a live chat.

HP Recommended

Never mind.

From HP:

If a Web Services tab is not available, your printer does not support Web Services.

I guess I just assumed it would work wirelessly; didn't realize this model does not.

Thanks for the assist anyway!

HP Recommended

Prego.

The   "w" suffix is wireless so.....

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04594029

HP Recommended

I bought this one specifically so I could print wirelessly... Are you saying that this model won't print wirelessly?

Is this only on Linux, or just this model specifically?

Were you ever able to get it to print at all? I can't even get the driver installed. HP keeps sending me to a different site for a driver, but it keeps trying to download some sort of plugin from an mit site... I think it is some college kid's programming class project or something.

Were you able to find a driver from the HP site?

Hard to believe they claim to have Linux support, but then they actually don't.

I plugged mine into a windows machine and it downloaded the driver automatically, and was completely set up in 10 minutes, wireless and all.  I wish they would make a driver for linux that would do the same thing.

As it is, I'm stuck with an expensive piece of junk that only works if I go to my neighbor's house and use his laptop.

Waste of money, waste of time.

HP Recommended

Hi

"I bought this one specifically so I could print wirelessly..."

Which one?

I don't understand you bought a NON WiFi printer that won't print wirelessly in Windows and somehow it should work in Linux?

OR you have bought a WiFi printer and ......

HP Recommended

No, I am not a moron.  I bought a HP CP1025NW printer, thinking it would print wirelessly from Linux.  I thought NW meant it would work, just like it did work in widows (which, upon review is exactly what my post said.).  Thank you for further clarifying that this model is a NON wireless model.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.