Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy5640
macOS 10.12 Sierra
I bought an HP Envy 5640 series printer probably about 18 months or so ago.

I have real problems in being able to use it!!

What I mean is that it’s all set up and is wirelessly connected but when I go to print it either says it’s offline or idle in use……but it definitely doesn’t do anything!!

So I have to go through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling the printer every time I want to use it.

Surely this isn’t right??

I really don’t know what the issue is because once it’s reinstalled it runs perfectly, but as soon as I turn it off and go back to it I have the same issue.

If I really can’t get this printer to work I’m going to have to buy another one, but as I’ve had problems with the last 2 printers I’ve bought, which have both been HP, chances are I won’t buy HP again!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

There could be several reasons the printer is not staying connected.

Trying to locate the printer by IP address is one approach to get it more stable.

Thanks.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Can you try this :

macOS 10 12 Sierra: Adding a printer using IP address

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended
Hi, thanks for this but to be honest I have already found HP Easy Start and gone through the installation process several times. As I said when it completes the installation it seems to work ok for the rest of that day (although I've 'lost' the connection on the same day a couple of times), but then if I go back to it the next day or a week later the printer is showing on my iMac as either 'offline' or 'idle in use'. Then when I go through HP Easy Start it doesn't find my printer. That's when I get very frustrated as when I go to the printer it says it's connected to my network. So as I said somehow it seems that the connectivity between my computer and printer has been lost and it's not straightforward or easy to get it back. Why is this happening? Thanks Keith
HP Recommended

Hi,

There could be several reasons the printer is not staying connected.

Trying to locate the printer by IP address is one approach to get it more stable.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I found the simplest solution. I was having the exact trouble as you and others have had with the HPEnvy. I called customer service and could never get a technician. I used support and that was a joke. I installed and reinstalled the printer a dozen times and it would work only one. I found out that you have to go to the printer's menu and turn Auto-Off to off. The default is on. Click on it and change it to off. If the computer turns off or goes automatically it will show offline everytime. I can't believe that no one at HP could come up with this simple solution. I have absolutely no trouble now. I can print, copy and scan everytime without a hitch. Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.