Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Professional CM141
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Some time around Marcn of this year (2017), my printer would no longer print anything generated from the internet, such as emails, screen prints, even PDFs created for viewing.  My husband has never had this problem.  Then yesterday, after several large updates by HP, Microsoft and Firefox, I suddenly was able to print these things -- emails, screen prints, everything!  I was so happy! Then today it went back to not printing again. This is the error message that appears as a pop up box:

Titled: HP LaserJet Send Fax

Device: HP LaserJet Professional CM1410 Series PCL 6I

Fax To:  (with fill-in white boxes for:

Fax Number

Name

Company

Buttons with the option to go to the:

Phone Book or

Create Recipient List

Options for the resolution of:  Standard, Fine or Superfine

Under "Include With Fax"

"Print to Fax Document Enclosed" is selected

Then the last 4 button options of:

Send

Cancel

Preview

Help

Can somebody help me please?  I have tried EVERYTHING, some even twice or three times. 

This may seem like a small request, but I have been on crutches for months and my home office is upstairs.  FWIW, I would be forever grateful.

Thank you for your time,

Laura Figueiredo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings @Jayne4,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that whenever you try to print you get a fax option instead of print, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

Recommend you open control panel from the start menu/windows button. 

Open devices and printers. 

Your printer will be listed twice. 

Right-click on the one that does not say fax and set it as the default printer. 

This should resolve the issue you are facing. 

For any reason, it the suggested step does not work for you. 

Please follow the procedure mentioned below to uninstall the printer software completely and install it back. 

This procedure might look complicated but will resolve the issue you are facing. 

Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed from the Control panel.

(Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)

Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it.

(Device manager can be accessed from the Control panel.)

Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 

Click on print server properties. 

You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.

Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.

Restart the PC.

Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 

Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.

It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files, ignore them).

If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.

Restart the PC again. 

Download the latest full feature driver from www.hp.com/drivers and install it on the computer.

Power On/Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 

Let me know if this helped. Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings @Jayne4,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that whenever you try to print you get a fax option instead of print, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

Recommend you open control panel from the start menu/windows button. 

Open devices and printers. 

Your printer will be listed twice. 

Right-click on the one that does not say fax and set it as the default printer. 

This should resolve the issue you are facing. 

For any reason, it the suggested step does not work for you. 

Please follow the procedure mentioned below to uninstall the printer software completely and install it back. 

This procedure might look complicated but will resolve the issue you are facing. 

Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed from the Control panel.

(Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)

Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it.

(Device manager can be accessed from the Control panel.)

Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 

Click on print server properties. 

You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.

Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.

Restart the PC.

Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 

Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.

It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files, ignore them).

If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.

Restart the PC again. 

Download the latest full feature driver from www.hp.com/drivers and install it on the computer.

Power On/Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 

Let me know if this helped. Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.