Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
C7180
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My C7180 printer gives the following error message

Wrong Cartridge Error--Use Introductory Ink Cartridges that came with the printer

Any help appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @hsahlin,

Welcome to the HP community. Smiley Happy A very good day to you. Smiley Happy After reading your post I see that you require assistance regarding issues with the printer where it reports wrong cartridges are being used. It will be a delight to assist you here. Smiley Happy

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. Smiley Happy Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. It has been an absolute pleasure to work with you. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Are you setting up the printer for the first time?
  • Did you use the original HP ink cartridges to set it up before when you first got it, if it had already been setup before? 
  • Did the printer work correctly before?
  • Have you performed a hard reset on the printer?
  • Did you try to reset cartridges and check again?

For now please check this link A 'Wrong Ink Cartridge(s) Installed' Error Message Displays for HP Photosmart C7100 Series All-in-One Printers: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Photosmart-C7100-All-in-One-Printer-series/1153777/model/1153...

Also, perform a hard reset on this printer from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Photosmart-C7100-All-in-One-Printer-series/1153777/model/1153... please perform only step 4 for the power reset. then check again after reseating the cartridges.

This link is helpful only when cartridges other than the original introductory cartridges have been used. But if that is not the case and you’ve used this printer several times in the past, then I will send you steps to perform a semi full reset on the printer as a private message. That should do the trick for you.

Please keep checking your HP forum private message. Please reply to any message only on the public platform as the private message box is not always monitored.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.  Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll always be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @hsahlin,

Welcome to the HP community. Smiley Happy A very good day to you. Smiley Happy After reading your post I see that you require assistance regarding issues with the printer where it reports wrong cartridges are being used. It will be a delight to assist you here. Smiley Happy

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. Smiley Happy Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. It has been an absolute pleasure to work with you. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Are you setting up the printer for the first time?
  • Did you use the original HP ink cartridges to set it up before when you first got it, if it had already been setup before? 
  • Did the printer work correctly before?
  • Have you performed a hard reset on the printer?
  • Did you try to reset cartridges and check again?

For now please check this link A 'Wrong Ink Cartridge(s) Installed' Error Message Displays for HP Photosmart C7100 Series All-in-One Printers: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Photosmart-C7100-All-in-One-Printer-series/1153777/model/1153...

Also, perform a hard reset on this printer from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Photosmart-C7100-All-in-One-Printer-series/1153777/model/1153... please perform only step 4 for the power reset. then check again after reseating the cartridges.

This link is helpful only when cartridges other than the original introductory cartridges have been used. But if that is not the case and you’ve used this printer several times in the past, then I will send you steps to perform a semi full reset on the printer as a private message. That should do the trick for you.

Please keep checking your HP forum private message. Please reply to any message only on the public platform as the private message box is not always monitored.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.  Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll always be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @hsahlin,

Please find the steps to perform a semi full reset on the printer sent as a private message.

If you need to respond to this message, please respond to the post publicly as this private message box is not always monitored.

If this helps, please mark my public post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others and please give the same public post a Kudos for my efforts to help.

Reminder: Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

Please take care and do have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks! Problem solved!

Best regards

Henrik

HP Recommended

@hsahlin

You're welcome. 🙂

I'm glad to know that the issue is fixed. @DavidSMP is out of the office today and therefore I'm replying to you. I will keep @DavidSMP informed about your post. Happy printing! 🙂

HP Recommended
We have had this same issue with our c8180. "Wrong cartridges use introductory cartridges that were shipped with your printer." I have tried hard reset, etc. nothing is working. The printer worked fine before the initial error message. Is there something else I can do? Just bought new ink cartridges (hp). And can't use them.... so frustrating..... if you can help that would be great. Dottie.
HP Recommended

Hi @Dot63,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query. I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with your HP Photosmart C8180 All-in-One Printer wherein you get an error message to install the setup cartridges.

Let's go through a few steps that may help to fix this issue.

I suggest that you follow the step by step guide listed below to reset the printer: 

1.Disconnect if there is any fax or USB cable connected to the unit and then turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2.With the printer turned on, remove all the cartridges, close the cartridge access door and then disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

3.Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

4.Wait at least 60 seconds.

5.Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

6.Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

7.Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on. The printer might go through a warm-up period. 
8.Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed. Now install the cartridges and check.

If the issue still persists, please contact HP phone support from this link: www.hp.com/contacthp
You may select the country and type the product# of the unit and then follow the on-screen instructions to contact HP phone support.

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended
Good morning. This action did not work. Any other suggestions? Thx.
HP Recommended

Hi @Dot63,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue has not resolved after following the steps mentioned in the previous interaction.

This issue may require a one to one interaction over the phone.

Hence, please contact HP Phone Support for further assistance at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

You may select the country and type the product# of the unit and then follow the on-screen instructions to contact HP phone support.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.