Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Smart Tank Wireless 450
macOS 10.15 Catalina

My yellow ink had run out so I replaced it and now it won't come through. I have done printing diagnostics several times and still nothing. Is it the printer cartridge or something else I can look at?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @daisy171

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the  "Missing yellow" issue. 

Try the steps below to resolve the issue-

Clean the printheads

Clean the printheads using the HP software, and then evaluate the results.

1. Search the Mac for Print, and then click Printers & Scanners in the list of results.

2. Click the name of your printer, and then click Open Print Queue.

3. Click Printer Setup or Settings, click Utility, and then click Open Printer Utility.

4. Click Clean Printheads.

5. Once the cleaning cycle completes, click Print.

A Print Quality Diagnostic page prints.

Example of a Print Quality Diagnostic page

6. Examine the Print Quality Diagnostic page.

• If the print quality is acceptable, click Done. You can stop troubleshooting.

• If the print quality is unacceptable, click Second-level Clean when prompted to continue the next level of cleaning

Align the printheads.

1. Search the Mac for Print, and then click Printers & Scanners in the list of results.

3. Click Printer Setup or Settings, click Utility, and then click Open Printer Utility.

4. Click Align.

The printer prints an alignment page.

5. Lift the scanner lid.

6. Place the alignment page with the print side down on the right-front corner of the scanner glass, and then close the scanner lid. Position it according to the guides around the scanner glass.

Printer alignment

7. On your computer, click Scan.

The printer aligns the printheads.

8. Recycle or discard the alignment page.

Try other steps from the document -Color or Black Ink Not Printing

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying... I’ve tried this several times... I think the printer head is clogged... how do I clean it manually?

HP Recommended

Thank you for getting back to us.

We do not recommend manual printhead cleaning for the smart tank printer

Clean the printheads using the HP software, and then evaluate the results.

4. Click Clean Printheads.

5. Once the cleaning cycle completes, click Print.

A Print Quality Diagnostic page prints.

Example of a Print Quality Diagnostic page

6. Examine the Print Quality Diagnostic page.

• If the print quality is acceptable, click Done. You can stop troubleshooting.

• If the print quality is unacceptable, click Second-level Clean when prompted to continue the next level of cleaning.

NOTE: 

If the printheads are badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes before you perform both levels of cleaning again.

Let me know if this helps!

HP Recommended

I have tried this at least 10 times over the last couple of days. The yellow is consistently not coming through. I need another option to clean the print heads. They are obviously blocked.

HP Recommended

@daisy171,

The printhead cleaning should have unblocked any blockage was present.

I appreciate you trying al the suggested steps, this seems like a printhead issue.

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.