Level 1
11 8 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

after download software updates, issues with scanning

HP Photosmart 5520
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

HP Photosmart 5520 connected wirelessly to iMac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra.

Downloaded Software Updates a couple of days ago.

When I select 'scan to computer' on the front panel of the printer, I get a small section of the scanned document, not the whole document.

I have selected various options in both 'HP Utility' and 'HP Easy Scan' and can only get a complete document scan if I instruct a scan from my desktop iMac, but not from the printer front panel.

Could someone please give me the options to select to instruct a full scan from the front panel of the printer ! I would be very grateful.

Thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3
Level 16
Level 16
25,793 25,521 4,570 9,964
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1. From the applications folder open the HP folder, then open the HP Utility and select your device.

Note: if you cannot locate it, from System Preferences select Printers & Scanners, double-click your printer and select

Printer Settings. Within the Utility tab click Open utility.
2. From Scan Settings open the "Scan to Computer".
3. Click the "Scan Tasks" tab.
4. Select the Scan Shortcut used to scan, then click Edit.
5. In the section of Scan from an HP Device click on the blue triangle or the Show Details button to enlarge the menu.
6. From the enlarged menu now open the drop-down menu next to Crop To and set as None.
7. Click OK and try scanning.

Regards,
Shlomi

2019_MeetupAward_Signature_FINAL(1).png
Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
0 Kudos
helppleh
Level 1
11 8 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi ShlomiL,

Thanks for your response.

Apologies for the delay, but I replied directly to your email, not realising it was a 'no-reply', and that I should login to reply.

The layout I encounter is slightly different from your description :

1. In HP Utility from 'Scan to Computer is Enabled' I click on 'Edit Scan Tasks'

2. 'Scan to Computer Shortcuts' is greyed off, but below that there are the options 'Document (PDF)' and 'Photo (JPEG)'. I highlight 'Document (PDF)' and then click 'Edit', which opens into . .

3. 'Preferences' with three options, each with a dropdown menu - 'Presets' has 'General Purpose' selected; 'Output Type' has 'PDF' selected, and 'Scan To' has 'Desktop' selected.

4. 'Show Details' shows six 'Scan Presets (General Purpose)' with the only dropdown menu available is 'Type', which has 'Automatic' selected. All the others are greyed off ('Crop To' shows 'None')

5. When I click on 'Save' and 'Test', the document placed on the scanner is scanned complete 

However, the problem issue remains : if I select 'Scan to Computer' on the front panel of the Photosmart 5520, instead of from the 'Utility' or 'Easy Scan' windows on my iMac Desktop, only a magnified small section of the document on the scanner bed is sent to my desktop.

Regards helppleh

0 Kudos
helppleh
Level 1
11 8 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi ShlomiL,

Thanks for your response.

Apologies for the delay, but I replied directly to your email, not realising it was a 'no-reply', and that I should login to reply.

The layout I encounter is slightly different from your description :

1. In HP Utility from 'Scan to Computer is Enabled' I click on 'Edit Scan Tasks'

2. 'Scan to Computer Shortcuts' is greyed off, but below that there are the options 'Document (PDF)' and 'Photo (JPEG)'. I highlight 'Document (PDF)' and then click 'Edit', which opens into . .

3. 'Preferences' with three options, each with a dropdown menu - 'Presets' has 'General Purpose' selected; 'Output Type' has 'PDF' selected, and 'Scan To' has 'Desktop' selected.

4. 'Show Details' shows six 'Scan Presets (General Purpose)' with the only dropdown menu available is 'Type', which has 'Automatic' selected. All the others are greyed off ('Crop To' shows 'None')

5. When I click on 'Save' and 'Test', the document placed on the scanner is scanned complete 

However, the problem issue remains : if I select 'Scan to Computer' on the front panel of the Photosmart 5520, instead of from the 'Utility' or 'Easy Scan' windows on my iMac Desktop, only a magnified small section of the document on the scanner bed is sent to my desktop.

Regards helppleh

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation