Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer is connected wirelessly but computer software (Windows 10 - hate it) doesn't seem to recognize it.  I can print documents, etc. but can't establish scan from printer to computer.

For now: I cant get trouble shooting HP Cleanup Utility to download which is STEP # 1 of TroubleShooting HP printer software installation.

HELP,

MAD

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings @CaptMAD

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are facing an issue where you are able to print but are unable to scan from your computer running on Windows 10. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own. 

Are you able to make a copy on the printer? Copier and scanner use the same mechanism. 

Recommend you run HP Print and Scan Doctor to automatically resolve the issue you are facing. Click here

If it fails to fix the issue. Please uninstall the printer software from your computer by following the procedure mentioned below and install it back. 

Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)

Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)

Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 

Click on print server properties. 

You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.

Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.

Restart the PC.

Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 

Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.

It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files, ignore them).

If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.

Restart the PC again. 

Download the latest full feature driver from www.hp.com/drivers and install it on the computer.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings @CaptMAD

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are facing an issue where you are able to print but are unable to scan from your computer running on Windows 10. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own. 

Are you able to make a copy on the printer? Copier and scanner use the same mechanism. 

Recommend you run HP Print and Scan Doctor to automatically resolve the issue you are facing. Click here

If it fails to fix the issue. Please uninstall the printer software from your computer by following the procedure mentioned below and install it back. 

Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)

Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)

Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 

Click on print server properties. 

You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.

Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.

Restart the PC.

Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 

Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.

It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files, ignore them).

If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.

Restart the PC again. 

Download the latest full feature driver from www.hp.com/drivers and install it on the computer.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Chimney,

Thank you for the response.  I have been able to fix the problem with solution as you suggested.  When I first posted I got the reply I copied below.  I called the number and was connected to Alan ??? who spoke with such an accent I had to ask him to repeat several times. 

In the meantime, he had me open the GoToAssist so he could get into my computer.  SURPRISE!!!  I didn't write all that he had me do but at one point he got into what I would call DOS as in opening C:windows\system 32\cmd.exe and pulled up a page showing "foreign address".  OH, he asked me if I was familiar with computers, what experience did I have.  Stupid me I thought he was asking how detailed he had to be with his instructions. 

He told me I had been hacked (that may be true) and had over 65,000 foreign addresses using umpteen space that was slowing my computer.  He could not help me until all these issues were resolved/cleared and he had just the service to do that for $199 OR I could purchase the extended version for $299. 

I may be stupid but I wasn't born yesterday.  I declined but got his contact information: 1877-220-2110 X 404.  he told me he was a level 4 technican, recommended firewall support, driver, and id protection.  I got the feeling I was being set up by a scam using the HP forum support.. 

Otherwise, this is not acceptable behavior from HP Support and I am glad I have the opportunity to report it. 

thank you for your reply.  I was able to clean up my computer with the help of SuperAntiSpyware program using adwcleaner program developed by Malewarebytes.

Don't know if you will follow up but I feel somewhat better. BTW, I am pleased with my Officejet 8600.

CaptMAD

Sent: 06/02/2017 4:17 PM
To: madgicsail@comcast.net
Subject: You've received a private message on the HP Support Forum.

HP Support Forums