Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 8 (168 Views)

cannot get my 4630 printer installed again

Product Name: officejet 4630
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was trying to use my 4630 printer to send a fax out. Once I had all the information loaded and clicked send fax, my printer kept spooling the fax. I thought maybe something had gone haywire so I decided to uninstall the printer and reinstall. Well that hasn't gone so well. I have uninstalled  all HP programs using the uninstall windows programs and then tried different ways to get the printer installed on my network. But it fails. I tried using the disk that came with the printer, did not work. I went to HP sight and tried loading the drivers from that sight and still it stopped. The error message I get is network driver did not load. I have no clue as to what to do now. I've tried this several times over the last couple of days and nothing works. I do have this printer loaded on a lap top and it surprised me that it worked using the lap top. So I'm not doing something right with my desk top. Any help would be apprecaited.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 8 (137 Views)

Re: cannot get my 4630 printer installed again

@JimR73,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I see that you are having issues while installing the OfficeJet printer on your Windows 10 system. I would recommend a clean install of your printer as suggested below:

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP OfficeJet printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Restart your computer.

Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.

Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.

Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".

Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.

Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (there is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Open run again, type “%temp%” and press enter to get the temporary files. Delete all the files here. Skip the items which cannot be deleted.

Now restart your computer again.

Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.

Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.

Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.

Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.

Now click on this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL49503/mp-120038-6/OJ4630_198.exe to download and install the printer software.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Tutor
Message 3 of 8 (112 Views)

I was doing ok until I got to the part where I opened the run window. I typed in "printui.exe /s( with the space) and got an error message that said windows cannot find "printui.exe" make sure you typed the name right and try again. Well I did and got the same error. Now when I typed just "printui.exe" I did get a printer resource window but have no idea what to do from there. I did scroll down and found a listing /s but I have no idea of how to type in the command to get where I needed to be. I do have windows 10 now.

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 8 (105 Views)

@JimR73

Thank you for your reply. 

As @Jeet_singh is out of the office today, I'm replying to you.  I truly appreciate your patience and efforts.

I tried the printui.exe /s command (with the space) and it worked for me on Win10 operating system.

Secondly, let us download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor, It will fix any issues with the existing printer drivers:

1. Make sure your printer is turned on and connected to the computer.

2. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor, and then follow the on-screen prompts to install and open the tool.

3. On the Welcome screen, click Start to view a list of available printers.

4. Select your printer in the list, and then click Next.

If your printer is not listed or a connection problem is detected, click My product is not listed or select your connection type, follow the on-screen instructions, and then click Retry.

Example of a list of available printers

5. Click either Fix Printing or Fix Scanning.

If you are prompted to install the printer software, follow the on-screen instructions. The software can resolve many printer issues.

Example of a list of available printers

6. Review the list of test results, and then resolve any issues found.

• If you see a checkmark, the printer passed the test.

• If you see a wrench, HP Print and Scan Doctor found an issue and repaired it.

• If you see an exclamation point, the test failed and required user action, but the step was skipped.

• If you see an X, follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the issue.

Example of the results screen with a problem detected

If the printer still does not get installed then let us attempt to install the inbuilt printer drivers. Please refer to "Step 3: Install the print driver with the Add a Printer wizard: from this HP document: https://hp.care/2igKeU1

In case the problem persists then you may create a new user account in Windows 10 and then install the drivers in the new user account. To know how to create a new user account, please refer to "Creating a new account" from this HP document: https://hp.care/2IsTtcz

NOTE: Do not plug the USB cable from the printer to the computer initially. You may first begin the installation and during the course of the installation it will prompt to connect the printer. And that is when the printer needs to be connected via USB to the computer and continue with the installation. 

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Let me know the outcome. 

Cheers! Smiley Happy

MKazi
I am an HP Employee

If you find this post helpful then you can help others find the same solution by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Tutor
Message 5 of 8 (65 Views)

Well to start with, I finally figured out that I didn't need the quotation marks placed around the printue.exe. I have a tendency to type in the command exactly as I see it. I have tried all that you have suggested except for starting another account. There should be some way or something I can do to resolve this. Everything I try takes me to installing the printer network driver and then it fails. Do you have anymore suggestions other than creating a new account.

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 8 (55 Views)

@JimR73

Thanks for your reply. You have been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills and valuable patience. Kudos to you for that. 

The only other steps I can think of is to create a new user account in Windows and then try installing the drivers in it. Hope this step works out and the printer works great for you.

Let me know. Cheers! Smiley Happy

MKazi
I am an HP Employee

If you find this post helpful then you can help others find the same solution by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Tutor
Message 7 of 8 (29 Views)

I was finally able to get my printer drivers reinstalled. I lucked out and found a site on line that was discussing the same thing, not an HP site, and they said something interesting that got me to thinking about what I had tried. I had used the computer to install my printer but I couldn't get the printer to work like it had been. To even get to the printer I had to keep going to device manager and bring the printer up that way. Anyway this site mentioned the fact that the printer I was working with had to be selected as the default printer. Well, I went back to device manager and noticed that my printer wasn't selected as the default printer. Once I made it the default printer, I was able to download the drivers and get the printer back up and running. 

You guys might want to keep that in mind . Also remember that folks like me who know engouh to be dangerous with their computers as far as getting themselves in the middle of a mess follow instructions to the letter. So if you tell me to do to device mangager and delete the printers there, they all go. Print to pdf , the HP printer and anything else . I had a hard time getting the print to Pdf back but I did.  And when I was doing the search for printeui, I used quotes just like I was shown. After spending a little while thinking something was wrong and asking you guys about it , I tried the search without the quotes. And it worked. 

So I wished you folks could understand a little more from my view. When I look for help with a compuiter , I don't understand all that is put out there and I will do exactly as I'm told to try to solve the problem. 

HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 8 (25 Views)

@JimR73

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved and I truly appreciate your efforts and patience. 

Thanks for feedback and your feedback is taken. Your valuable feedback is very much appreciated.

I hope your printer remains healthy for a long time and serves you well.

Take care and happy printing! Smiley Happy

MKazi
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation