Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Lenovo
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since Windows updated, I am unable to print from email or web pages. I get the error message 'unexpected configuration problem' 0x8007007e. The correct drivers are installed, I have run both Windows and HP Troubleshooters and the problem remains.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@JuneT77

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• What is the printer model you use?
  • Have you tried printing PDF, Word or local documents and check if that works?

Updating the printer firmware, installing the updated HP Drivers may resolve this issue. Let us try these steps: 

At first, Let us run the HP Diagnostic tool

Click here to download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

Step 1: Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

2. Wait at least 60 seconds.

3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Step 2: Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Step 3: Check for Windows Update

Select the Start button, and then go to Settings > Update & Security Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Step 4: Clean uninstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.  In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
  2.  Select your HP Printer 
  3.  Select Uninstall 
  4.  In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  6.  Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  8.  Click on the “Drivers” tab 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  Select Ok 
  11.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  12.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Step 5: Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Let me know how this goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, have done all that and my Lenovo will still not print PDF's.  I am able to print from other devices...

HP Recommended

@SSK365

• Apart from PDF files, are you able to print fine from your windows PC?
  • Check if there are any updates available for Adobe reader which is installed on your PC.
  • If you are facing this issue only with the PDF files, Try Uninstalling and re-installing the Adobe reader on your PC.
  • And, What is the printer model you use?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I didn't feel confident enough to do all this myself, so I ended up on Microsoft Support, selected 'talk to a person' and via the live chat allowed them to have remote access. They had difficulty sorting it, and had to switch me to a 'level 2' technician who eventually solved the problem (don't know how). It is obviously a tricky issue....

HP Recommended

Thank you Kumar0307 - I have reinstalled Adobe Reader and have changed to Firefox as my default browser - this seems to work - fingers crossed.

I will give up on Edge.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Thanks JuneT77 - I don't blame you - it took me ages, but I have now found a solution with Kumar's help.

HP Recommended

it didnt work for me

HP Recommended

@Maudi1

• Have you tried printing from a different browser and different types of files like PDF, WORD or Emails?
  • Are you using a mobile device or a computer to print?
  • How are the devices connected?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911a

CM749A

configuration error 0x8007007e

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.