Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 5940
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

How could I install my old HP Deskjet 5940 printer, as my new laptop has Windows 10? Drivers don't seem to work with WIndows 10. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Mirjami,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums with your installation inquiry.

I understand that you have an HP Deskjet 5940 Printer that you would like to install on a Windows 10 computer. I would like to help.

This printer no longer has any drivers available for download from the website because it has been added to the Retired Product List. When HP adds a product to that list all the online resources are pulled from the site.

The printer is listed as being compatible with Windows 10. You may be able to install the software using the Windows Built-in Print Driver. Here is a support document that covers how that can be done - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Mirjami,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums with your installation inquiry.

I understand that you have an HP Deskjet 5940 Printer that you would like to install on a Windows 10 computer. I would like to help.

This printer no longer has any drivers available for download from the website because it has been added to the Retired Product List. When HP adds a product to that list all the online resources are pulled from the site.

The printer is listed as being compatible with Windows 10. You may be able to install the software using the Windows Built-in Print Driver. Here is a support document that covers how that can be done - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hello. I have a new Win10 computer. I have read your previous reply about installing a driver for the Deskjet 5940 using the Built-in Printer Driver feature. Unfortunately, it does not work. I have tried again and again to install this printer. I have tried automatically. I have tried manually. I have searched the Internet endlessly. On the HP website, it is listed as having an automatic driver. But the fact is, the Deskjet 5940, though a wonderful printer, is not supported on Win10. The computer sees a 5900 series Deskjet, but Windows has no driver for it. We have new print cartridges for this printer, but unless you can help me, we will have to junk it and get a new one. Given my level of disgust right now, that printer will not be an HP. Please help if you can.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Well, that may work, but it's irrelevant at this point. I gave up and bought an Epson.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.