Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (125 Views)

doesn't recognize new cartridge installed

Product Name: HP Office Jet Pro 6960
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

I have installed a new black cartridge (2 different ones, new) and the message is "remove and reinstall..."

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 5 (100 Views)

Re: doesn't recognize new cartridge installed

@goodfader,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are getting Ink cartridge error message on your HP OfficeJet printer. Don't worry I'll be glad to assist you.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Are you using genuine HP Ink cartridges or refilled cartridges?

Did the error appear all of sudden while using an existing cartridge which worked fine earlier on the same printer?

Did you try using another cartridge and check?

Was the alignment successful when you tried?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Alternatively, I would suggest you to follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP OfficeJet Pro 6900 Printers - Ink Cartridge Errors

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 3 of 5 (67 Views)

thank you for your advise. The first message I got, when followng your rinstructions exactly, was that I didn't shut down the printer correctly.

Second message is "remove and reinstall indicated cartridge" - the black cartridge that I've been trying to install many times.  I've even used a different new black cartridge.

As for the error appearing suddenly, I don't think so.  I replaced the color cartridges right before, and all was good.  The black cartridge seemed to still have ink, but wouldn't print, so I installed several new ones.  Yes, they are new cartridges - from Staples in your brand boxes.  Alignment? - checked many times - it clicks

When I go to system preferences, printers, check supply levels:

"black ink level unknown"

Honor Student
Message 4 of 5 (62 Views)

And now I've gone to -

the support document for - HP OfficeJet Pro 6900 Printers - Ink Cartridge Errors

and have gone through those steps, swabbing the print heads.  Reset again.  Nothing is working

Your next bit of advice?

Highlighted
HP Support Agent
Message 5 of 5 (45 Views)

@goodfader,

I read this quick response. You've displayed great technical credentials, an uncanny knack to pay attention to detail coupled with a infinite patience which is a terrific combination and it is indeed laudableKudos to you for that. :) As @Jeet_singh is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf.

The printer's hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced by contacting HP phone support. I am being honest about it by keeping your best interest in mind.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: https://hp.care/2r9wSvP

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

If this helps, then to simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and have a blessed year ahead. :)

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation