Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

have a new MacBook Pro and trying to figure out if my old printer HP  laser jet P1102w is compatible with it.  Am reading on this forum that it is not, therefore is the consensus on this forum that i should buy a new printer?

HP Recommended

I do not recommend buying that type of printer or using it; Unfortunately neither Mac nor HP want to solve the problem; I suggest you carefully look at mac compatible printers. Even some new Hp printers are not compatible with Mac, and this is completely incomprehensible as well as it's incomprehensible that you have to throw away your hp 1102W which is not such a old printer

HP Recommended

Thank you, right now am without a printer, while two perfect good printers sit in my studio.  Will have to find a solution.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi Docantonio, I've probably arrived too late on this issue for you, but if you haven’t thrown out your printers I have worked out a procedure to use to get them working that I could post here if you would like to try it out. Once you have them working they will need to remain switched on and can only be used when connected by a USB cable. The wireless function will not work. As you probably know by now the reason the HP Laserjet P1102w no longer works with Macs is because the firmware and drivers are not being updated. The printer does work with PCs, for now at least.

HP Recommended

Hi Peter, I did not throw out my printers! I have 9 hp P1102W !! I would be very grateful if you want to post here your solution, thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi Antonio

Here it is. I noted the steps for myself originally, so that I could repeat them if necessary. I hope they work for you too. 

When the HP Laserjet P1102w printer is seen by a Mac as an unreadable disc follow the check list below to get it working. 

Please note that if you need the full functionality of this printer you will have to use it with a PC and not with a Mac. 

So here we go. (if you still have no driver installed at item 5 just power down the Mac)

1. power down both the HP Laserjet P1102w printer and the Mac. 
  2. disconnect the USB printer cable from the Mac.
  3. power up the Mac with USB printer cable still disconnected
  4. In Systems Preferences select Printers & Scanners
  5. delete the HP Laserjet P1102w Driver and Power down the Mac.
  6. Power up HP Laserjet P1102w printer, wait until it has gone through its initialisation stage and the green light is permanently on
  7. Connect the USB printer cable to the Mac.
  8. Power up the Mac.
  9. Select Printers & Scanners In Systems Preferences
  10. The HP Laserjet Professional P1100w 6.9 Driver should have automatically re-installed. If not go to https://123.hp.com/us/en/devices/laserjet-pagewide/downloading and the driver should download (Good luck with that one)  Cancel a popup prompt to install software update from Apple if it appears because the software does not exist.
  11. Try printing a page from your browser and with luck it will work. Ignore a visual alarm (a black exclamation mark inside a black triangle) that sometimes appears in the ‘printer type’ window. 
  12. DO NOT TURN THE PRINTER OFF
  13. Go back into Printers & Scanners In Systems Preferences on your Mac
  14. Select Options & Supplies 
  15. Under the General tab the Device Name should read HP_LaserJet_Professional_P_1102w, Driver Version should read 6.9
  16. Select Supply Levels and make a note as you will need to confirm the information is identical to that shown in the ‘HTML Config…’ box later at Note 18 
  17. Still in Options & Supplies and under the Utility Tab select Open Printer Utility, switch the ‘Auto Off after:’ box to ‘Never’ and the ’Sleep after:’ box to whatever- I set mine to ‘After 1 hour. Then click on ‘OK’  (stopping the printer from automatically switching off should solve the problem and prevent the need to go through all the preceding steps to get the printer to work because it is after the printer is switched off and switched back on again that the Mac sees the printer as an unreadable disc) 
  18. Now click on the ‘HTML Config…’ box and ensure your supply levels, ‘Auto Off after:’  and the ’Sleep after:’ values match what is shown under Options & Supplies on the Mac (I had problems when they didn’t match) Check that any changes you make in ‘HTML Config…’ have synced in the Options & Supplies in Systems Preferences and visa versa.

As a temporary fix that should do it. Now you just need to leave the printer switched on. If the printer is switched off it will be necessary to go through all the above steps again.

HP Recommended

Hi

As things stand at the moment you will not get the full functionality of the HP Laserjet 11102W with a Mac, so basically you will have to get another printer. But if you just want to have temporary use of it while you look around you could try the set-up procedure I have used which worked for me.

When you connect the HP Laserjet P1102w printer to a Mac it is generally seen as an unreadable disc, but if you follow the check list below you it should work.

All of the steps below are listed in various HP help pages and in various formats but I believe it is only here that you will find them all in one place in an easy-to-follow list.

If you need the full functionality of this printer you will have to use it with a PC and not with a Mac.

So here we go. 

1. power down both the HP Laserjet P1102w printer and the Mac. 
  2. disconnect the USB printer cable from the Mac.
  3. power up the Mac with USB printer cable still disconnected
  4. In Systems Preferences select Printers & Scanners
  5. delete the HP Laserjet P1102w Driver and Power down the Mac.
  6. Power up HP Laserjet P1102w printer, wait until it has gone through its initialisation stage and the green light is permanently on
  7. Connect the USB printer cable to the Mac.
  8. Power up the Mac.
  9. Select Printers & Scanners In Systems Preferences
  10. The HP Laserjet Professional P1100w 6.9 Driver should have automatically re-installed. If not go to https://123.hp.com/us/en/devices/laserjet-pagewide/downloading and the driver should download (Good luck with that one)  Cancel a popup prompt to install software update from Apple if it appears because the software does not exist.
  11. Try printing a page from your browser and with luck it will work. Ignore a visual alarm (a black exclamation mark inside a black triangle) that sometimes appears in the ‘printer type’ window. 
  12. DO NOT TURN THE PRINTER OFF
  13. Go back into Printers & Scanners In Systems Preferences on your Mac
  14. Select Options & Supplies 
  15. Under the General tab the Device Name should read HP_LaserJet_Professional_P_1102w, Driver Version should read 6.9
  16. Select Supply Levels and make a note as you will need to confirm the information is identical to that shown in the ‘HTML Config…’ box later at Note 18
  17. Still in Options & Supplies and under the Utility Tab select Open Printer Utility, switch the ‘Auto Off after:’ box to ‘Never’ and the ’Sleep after:’ box to whatever- I set mine to ‘After 1 hour. Then click on ‘OK’  (stopping the printer from automatically switching off should solve the problem and prevent the need to go through all the preceding steps to get the printer to work because it is after the printer is switched off and switched back on again that the Mac sees the printer as an unreadable disc) 
  18. Now click on the ‘HTML Config…’ box and ensure your supply levels, ‘Auto Off after:’  and the ’Sleep after:’ values match what is shown under Options & Supplies on the Mac (I had problems when they didn’t match) Check that any changes you make in ‘HTML Config…’ have synced in the Options & Supplies in Systems Preferences and visa versa.

As a temporary fix that should do it. Now you just need to leave the printer switched on. If the printer is switched off it will be necessary to go through all the above steps again.

Your feedback would be much appreciated. I hope it works for you. Please let let me know.

Peter

HP Recommended

It might not work via cable, but it does work wirelessly under Sierra without any problems. You will just have to set it up with a Windows PC to get wireless working. 

HP Recommended

Interesting solution... but what's te meaning of " to set it up with a Windows PC to get wireless working"?

HP Recommended

It took me 3 hours of tinkering around and searching the web for as solution to realize there was no consensus on this issue. I had a flight to get to and a boarding pass to print. It was crunch time.

I run seirra 10.12.6 at the moment. I will be upgrading to High Seirra in the near future.

My p1102w will not work with a cable. But, if I turn off the wi-fi to my internet provider and connect to the p1102w signal, I can print. I downloaded all the drivers and such. I don't know why this works, but it does.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.