Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4500 all in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have tried multiple times to uninstall the software for the printer and keep getting this message. "driverpackageuninstall returned error 5 for package" I have a HP Envy 4500.  How do I uninstall the software so I can install the updated software? I have gone to uninstall and tried to remove it with no results. I have gone to APPS and removed it. I have gone to printers and devices trying to remove it. Any help would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the information @champ888.

Please try the following syntax instead and let me know if you may see any difference:

Spoiler
takeown /f %windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository /r /d y
icacls "%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" /grant %username%:(OI)(CI)F /T
for /d %G in ("%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpwia*") do rd /s /q "%~G"
takeown /f %windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository /A /r /d y

You may simply paste the whole text and let it work, but be sure to run the Command Prompt as Administrator, do not be scared from the commands, as it temporarily changes the ownership of every subfolder and then changes it back to the original Administrators group.

Please let me know if that helps, when you are done try uninstalling the HP Software and check for any difference.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

194 REPLIES 194
HP Recommended

@ShlomiL likely has the in-directory instructions to sneak up on the software and force it off the system. 

Words of wisdom?

Ohh well @Dragon-Fur, it's like a Cat and Mouse fight with any Windows 10 update, but we will eventually win! 😏

I do have something in mind but it is quite too complex, will share some steps to resolve it much easier when will be back at my office tomorrow, have it saved there, after some research in the last days...

Cheers,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Please try the following steps and let me know the results @rogerbrown.

Before following any further, please make sure that the HP printer is the only HP device you have, any HP Device will be affected.

If you have multiple HP printers or an HP Computer, please stop at this point and let me know what exact HP products your have and DO NOT follow any further steps in this post!

1. From the search bar type CMD, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  2. Copy the following command, then right-click the Command Prompt dialog and select Paste, then press Enter:
    Spoiler
    icacls "%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" /grant %username%:(OI)(CI)F /T
    Note: this will provide your user full permissions to the FileRepository system folder
  3. Copy the following command, then right-click the Command Prompt dialog and select Paste, then press Enter:
    Spoiler
    for /d %G in ("%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpwia*") do rd /s /q "%~G"
    Note: this will delete all HP's folders from the FileRepository system folder
  4. Uninstall the HP Software.
  5. Now download the latest drivers and reinstall the HP Software.

Shlomi

HP Recommended
Spoiler

I'm having the same issue, but with the software I was originally prompted to install with my Officejet 250 mobile when I purchased it on 31 Jan 2020.  I'm currently trying to uninstall "HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Series Basic Device" (40.11.1148.17181) from my computer and absolutely nothing has worked.  I even tried to delete everything from the program files and sifted through the registry to delete it manually, but it relentlessly shows up under "Apps & features", and I have zero connectivity via any means with my OJ250 other than via usb cable.  The problem seems obvious; that I need to uninstall all HP drivers, and install the latest full version of software, but even the above solution doesn't work.  

When I enter the first copy/paste portion, it states "Successfully processed 4 files; Failed processing 1 files" - the failure is "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\accelerometer.inf_amd64_08b794c8e40839a9: Access is denied."

Then when I enter the next command it says "Access is denied." after every subsequent line.

This is really quite frustrating.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information @champ888.

Please try the following syntax instead and let me know if you may see any difference:

Spoiler

You may simply paste the whole text and let it work, but be sure to run the Command Prompt as Administrator, do not be scared from the commands, as it temporarily changes the ownership of every subfolder and then changes it back to the original Administrators group.

Please let me know if that helps, when you are done try uninstalling the HP Software and check for any difference.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Nailed it; you're my hero.

HP Recommended

I had the same exact problem, experienced the same errors in the same sequence and this solution worked.  I had to jump through hoops to register to respond but needed to dos so inorder to thank you for this fix!   

Thanks!!!

HP Recommended

You’re much welcome @champ888 and @rhickmanjr , great to see it has resolved the problem!

Cheers,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

I am having this same issue but I have a HP Envy laptop as well.  Any advice?

HP Recommended

Hi @_Ninag33 

From the CMD prompt (Run As Administrator), paste the following commands:

Spoiler

Now, run the uninstaller till you get the error message, the message indicates a specific folder under  C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository (for example hpwia_en4500), note the exact folder and close the installation

Right-click the Start button and select Run, then paste the following and press OK:

%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

Now locate the specific sub-folder shown in the uninstall error message and delete only this folder, be sure not to delete any other HP folder.

Now uninstall the HP Printer software again and check for any difference.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.