Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

This fix worked for my ENVY 5660 All-in one printer.  Thank you for the solution.  I thought I would be purchasing a new printer, but your information solved my problem.  Many, many thanks!!

HP Recommended

I have this same issue "driverpackageuninstall returned error 5" and I have a HP Envy 4511.  The recommended solution did not work for me.  Are there any other options to uninstall the HP software?  Help!

HP Recommended

My HP OfficeJet 3830 stopped printing in color. Based on the HP support site, I have to uninstall the software and then reinstall it (that in itself is annoying). Every time I try to uninstall the software, I get the same error others are -  "Call to DriverPackageUninstall returned error 5 for package ... A caller of DriverPackageInstall must be a member of the Administrator's group to install a driver package". I am the only administrator on my computer, so I have no clue. How do I fix this so I can just uninstall? 

The only printer we have is the HP printer - I'm trying to unistall the software on my Toshiba laptop, however - I was scared to use your instructions because the printer is also connected to my kids' HP computer and I didn't know if doing something on my computer - would do something to their's - I'm signed in as administrator on both of them. 

HP Recommended

I have a 4520 and a 5200 series hp printer.  5400 working without a problem. 
I'm using a MS Surface 4 Pro with Windows 10.
4520 won't print colour, a search lead me to your solution. 
However, the command sequence you suggest didn't succeed.  I cut and pasted into the command box, each line gave an access denied error and then the final message was "the current logged on user does not have administrative privileges".  But I am the administrator.  I'm not sure where to go from here.  I've created two Admin profiles for myself, and I've tried the solution from both, with the same error messages.

HP Recommended

Hi,

First, try following below version of the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility by selecting your printer:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Be sure to restart your PC and allow the utility to complete the process, then check for any difference if you may now print in color.

If the sMe persists, have you right-click Command Prompt and selected Run as Administrator as listed? This step is crucial for it to work.

Please let me know the results,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you, Shlomil!  And apologies.  I was already logged in as Administrator so when calling up the command box ignored your direction to "Run as Administrator".  Clearly that was wrong.  I re-did the process, running as Administrator, got no error messages.  Then ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility from the link you gave (it was probably more up to date than the version I already had), printed some test pages, and colour seems to have come back.  I haven't yet printed from any other apps, but I don't see why there should be a problem now.  🙂  🤞
Thank you very much for sharing your expertise, it's improved my day greatly.

Helen (in Exeter, UK)

HP Recommended

No reason to apologize @Helen8AT.

Great to see it has resolved the problem, and have a great day ahead!

Cheers,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

This worked a treat for bot my 8620 and 7720 printers - thanks

HP Recommended

Thank you for the script to uninstall the HP software. I too had the "Call to DriverPackageUninstall returned error 5" and this was for my HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw. I can now install the latest version of the HP software for Windows 10.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem (A caller of driverpackageinstall must be a member of the administrators group) trying to uninstall HP OfficeJet Pro 8610 Basic Device Software.  I also have another HP printer installed on my PC.  What are the commands that will only affect my 8610?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.