Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Nothing is ever easy, it seems. I was unable to run the MS Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter ("MSDT was not able to load your diagnostic manifest. Please contact Microsoft Support."), so I have reached out to MS Support. They are supposed to call me later today. I will let you know if it was successful.

HP Recommended

Thanks for this. The only issue I found is that this failed initially for me because my username has a space in it. When I replaced %username% with my username in double quotes, it worked fine.

Hope that helps anyone else struggling with this method.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi ShlomiL,

I do have an HP ProBook Core i7 Windows 10 / 64 Bit  and the Printer is Color Laser Jet Pro MFP281fdw.

I have the same problem as mentioned above. I am  administrator and i cannot uninstall the old software and so on...

Thanks for helping me,

regards,

Mat

HP Recommended

Dear all,

sorry, to bother you with the same question, but I also have a problem uninstalling the old HP Officejet Driver.

I recently bought an Officejet 9012 and wanted to get rid of my Officejet 8600 Installation. But when deinstalling the old software, I get the following error message.

Anmerkung 2020-08-08 081014.png

I also tried the fix from ShlomiL with the solution:

takeown /f %windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository /r /d y
icacls "%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" /grant %username%:(OI)(CI)F /T
for /d %G in ("%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpwia*") do rd /s /q "%~G"
takeown /f %windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository /A /r /d y

But this does not work on my PC. 

I do have a Windows 10 Notebook, Lenovo E480.

Thanks for helping me out.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Is your OS language is German @M-Ulmer?

If so, please try below syntax instead:

takeown /f %windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository /r /d j
icacls "%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" /grant %username%:(OI)(CI)F /T
for /d %G in ("%windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpwia*") do rd /s /q "%~G"
takeown /f %windir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository /A /r /d j

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

@,

you are awesome!!!! It worked!

Thanks soooo much for your fast support.

Regards,

Mathias

HP Recommended

Yesss! SchlomiL, your advice was a good one - thanks it got me out of the problem - now to the now installation - Thanks.

HP Recommended

Same issue, but I do have multiple HP devices.  Only one is causing me issues. 

HP Recommended

Thanks so much, worked like a charm.

HP Recommended

WOW Dude I don't know what that script did but it did something heck of weird to my permissions!  And I was able to FINALLY remove the ancient 2018 HP software!  You da man!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.