Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP officejet pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

bought new printer today, after installing ink and turning on unit error code 0x6100004a keeps coming up

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Guntert,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I understand you are getting "0x6100004a" error on your new HP OfficeJet printer.. Don’t worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I’ll need a few more details.

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started?

Have you checked for any obstructions inside the printer?

Are you able to move the carriage manually?

Have you tried to remove the ink cartridges, Clean the ink cartridge contacts, and then insert the cartridges and check if that helps?

In the meantime, let’s try these steps here:

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

For more assistance, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP OfficeJet Pro 6900 Printers - 'Carriage Jam' Error

Hope this answers your question.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP said after they recieve this non-working printer they will get around to sending another printer that with luck will work.

Save time and agvration avoid this printer. As you can see this is a very common problem and it seems HP really dosen't care.

HP Recommended

@nascarfan,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

As I see you still have concerns related to your printer. Don't worry we're here to help you.

I will share you a private message with details. Please watch your inbox for more information.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've had the same trouble after installing a brand new Hp exlarge ink cartridge and updating it, it has not been the same. I've only had it less than 2 years and use it probably twice a month if that. I have performed all necessary steps to ensure there is no paper jam, also to reset it and basically any possible basic steps that I could. I've spoken to a tech agent and also a manager but unfortunately, there is nothing that they can do because it was out of warranty. I truly believed that this needs to change considering that this printer is technically still brand new because I rarely use it. They've told me that the only thing that I can do or should do is make another investment on a "better" model. I told them that to me it would be counter-productive considering the circumstances and the fact that people are even having the same issues after connecting it and using it for the first time. I honestly think that this is unfair or that I should make another investment considering that it could be a factory defect with this particular product. This is not good for consumers or "investors" and something should be done about it.

HP Recommended

@chuck102024

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.