Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
laserjet 4250 jetdirect j7949e
Other

hi,

i wanted to upgrade the firmware of the embedded jetdirect j7949e (on my laserjet 4250) but the version shown by the EWS (V.33.28.FF) is higher than the latest version offered by hp (V.33.21)  - see [1][2]

- how can that be?

- should i downgrade to the "official" release?

thanks,

rok

[1] http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-bpj07429#N102F8

[2] ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/jetdirect/firmware/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
You should generally only upgrade embedded jetdirect firmware by updating the printer firmware since it comes as one entire package.

I'll try to remember to check one of the 4250 printerss at work tomorrow since I have the latest printer firmware installed.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
You should generally only upgrade embedded jetdirect firmware by updating the printer firmware since it comes as one entire package.

I'll try to remember to check one of the 4250 printerss at work tomorrow since I have the latest printer firmware installed.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

HP Recommended

thank you! That explains the higher embedded jetdirect fw of my printer. I tested your proposal on another lj4250, upgraded the formatter-fw from 08.240.1 to 08.260.1 and simulataneously the jetdirect-fw was upgraded from 33.25 to 33.28 .

HP Recommended

Hello!

You managed to solve the problem?

HP Recommended

I had no "problem" to solve - I was only puzzled by the installed firmware-version of the embeded jetdirect j7949e which was higher (V.33.28.FF) than the latest version offered by hp (V.33.21).

"SHThompson" explained, that the firmware for the embedded jetdirect j7949e comes with the package of the regular firmware-update  of the formatter-board, e.g. I updated the formatter-fw from 08.240.1 to 08.260.1 and at the same time the jetdirect-fw was updated from 33.25 to 33.28. => stay with "SHThompsons" proposal!

HP Recommended
Just a little further information.

On the newer printers the firmware upgrade does the formatter, DC controller and embedded jetdirect. Not every upgrade package updates all items but it is a potential, when it is done this way you don't get issues from one component having updated firmware and another component having down level firmware.

If you were doing a firmware update on a multifunction printer it can also upgrade several other components inside the machine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.