Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ho officejet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I live in a basement efficiency apartment and due to the lack of space i have had to connect my printer wirelessly but have had serious issues with it connecting and printing with it constantly going offline so i decided to set up direct print using the steps in the following article HP Printers - Printing with Wi-Fi Direct but there's a big big big BIG!!!!!!! issue, windows says the driver is unavailable and you can't even set the  thing as default, I've tried and tried and tried to set up a driver but because it's set up as direct i can't get it to connect to set up the driver. I've seen other posts saying to reset windows that's out of the question i don't think uninstalling a reinstalling the printer will work because if i do then I'm gonna have to set it up wirelessly again and i'll be back where i started because due to the fact that you idiots have programmed these things to shut off and sleep at given intervals without us owners having a say in whether or not we want out printers on 24/7 (which i think is why it won't print because every time i have to push the power button to turn it on the printer stays offline and i have to disconnect from my wireless so i can use the direct wifi network which is a pain in the butt!) 

so to put it plainly. HOW YOU GET THIS  THING TO DIRECT PRINT!!!!!!!! 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@mshroyer1, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Connect the printer and the PC using WiFi-Direct. Once connected, install the HP Drivers.

The drivers for HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer series can be downloaded here.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Note: You will not have the Internet access on your PC while the PC is connected to the printer via WiFi-Direct.

If installing the drivers does not help,follow these steps: 

Make sure the printer and the PC are connected via WiFi-Direct.

Go to Devices and printer > Add a printer > The printer that I want isn't listed > Add the printer using TCP/IP port > Type in "192.168.223.1" click next > Choose HP and towards the right hand side check for Officejet 4650.(If not available, clcik on Windows update and check for the driver again)

Note: If the driver for Officejet 4650 is not availabe, use Officejet 8600 generic driver which is comaptible with your printer.

Try to print.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

well it got it to work (thank god) but now i have found yet another issue one i forgot about after i solved it. because i have most of my documents in the cloud so when i go to open multiple documents to print while one is currently printing they won't open because the internet is disconnected to print. is there a way i can connect via my wifi. because direct print is the only way i can get this thing to print because even if i turn the printer on/wake it up by pushing the power button it won't print and windows says that the printer is offline 

HP Recommended

@mshroyer1

While using WiFi Direct, your PC will not have an Internet connection. To overcome this, you will have to connect the printer to your wireless router.

• Make sure the printer and the PC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports only 2.4GHz network.

To connect the printer to your wireless network,

1. From the home screen of your printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon .

2. Touch the Setup icon .

3. Touch Restore Network Defaults or Restore Network Settings, and then touch Yes to confirm your selection.

4. After the default network settings are restored, touch the back arrow, touch Wireless Settings, and then touch Wireless Setup Wizard.

The printer searches for available networks.

5. Touch the name of your wireless network.

6. Type the WEP or WPA key (network password), and then touch Done.

7. If you do not know your network password, go to Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password..

Once the printer connects to the wireless network, the blue Wireless light on the control panel turns on solid.

Assign a static IP address to the printer so that the printer does not go offline.

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  2. Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  3. If you get any security notification, click on show details and 'proceed to this website'.
  4. Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  5. Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  6. Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  7. Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

welp it worked......... NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i do everything you tell me to do and after printing a few thing and then leaving it alone for about a week or two. guess what, the **bleep** thing won't print unless i direct print, and even when i try to print wifi the god **bleep** **bleep**ing thing mother**bleep**ing **bleep**ing goes offline.

NOW GOD **bleep** IT I HAVE ENOUGH I KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND A MANUAL IP ADDRESS ISN'T GONNA HELP!!!! BECAUSE ACCORDING TO GOOGLE THE WIFI CHANGES EVERY TIME YOU RESTART SOMETHING BE IT MY PRINTER OR MY COMPUTER WHICH UPDATED AND HAD TO RESTART. SO HERE'S THE BEST SOLUTION. TELL ME HOW TO KEEP THIS MOTHER **bleep**ING THING ON PERMANENTLY YOU COW WORSHIPING MOTHER **bleep**ER. I'VE NEVER HAD A PRINTER THAT SHUTS DOWN UNTIL YOUR PIECE OF **bleep** NOW IF YOU WOULD GET YOUR **bleep** OUTTA THAT STEER AND TELL ME HOW TO FIX THIS RIGHT OR HOW TO KEEP MY PRINTER ON 24/7!!! NO SHUT DOWN NO SLEEP MODE, 24/7 365 

HP Recommended

AND HOW THE **bleep** SHOULD I KNOW HOW MANY GHZ MY MODEM IS THAT SHOULDN'T ENTER INTO THE EQUATION!!!!!

HP Recommended

AND GUESS WHAT BIBIDI BIBIDI THE GOD **bleep** IP ADDRESS IS TIMING OUT SO YOU KNOW WHAT FORGET IT I'LL GUESS GO TO WALMART AND PICK UP A STAND TO PUT THIS ON AND SEND YOU THE RECEIPT OK CAUSE THAT'S WHAT I HAVE TO DO NOW BECAUSE I CAN'T GET THIS **bleep** THING TO CONNECT. I'VE HAD IT FOR NEARLY A YEAR AND THIS IS THE SAME **bleep** i'VE BEEN DEALING WITH THE WHOLE TIME. I"M NEVER BUYING FROM YOU **bleep**ERS AGAIN

HP Recommended

IT'S NOT A DRIVER ISSUE YOU **bleep**ING **bleep**HEAD IT'S A THEY DON'T LIKE US LEAVING THEIR PRODUCTS ON 24/7 ISSUE BECAUSE EVERY TIME SOMETHING RESTARTS THE IP ADDRESS CHANGES AND THESE **bleep**ING THINGS WON'T LET ME KEEP THE **bleep** THING ON 24/7

HP Recommended

THAT'S IT. i'M DONE. I'M TAKING THIS THING AND PUTTING IT ON THE FLOOR WHERE I'LL PROBABLY STEP OR TRIP OVER IT AND BREAK IT OR A BODY PART. YOU GUYS DON'T KNOW **bleep**ING **bleep** ABOUT MY PROBLEM. THE ISSUE IS THAT THE PRINTER CONSTANTLY GOES OFFLINE AND THE ONLY WAY FOR IT TO GO ONLINE IS VIA DIRECT PRINT i'VE SEARCHED AND SEARCHED AND SEARCHED AND I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING SOLVE THIS ISSUE, THE ONLY WAY I HAD AT SOME POINT WAS TO CONNECT IT VIA A CABLE IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS HARD TO SOLVE A CONSTANTLY GOING "PRINTER OFFLINE" ISSUE AND IT'S PROBABLY BECAUSE YOU HAVE DECIDED TO MAKE YOUR PRINTERS LESS USER FRIENDLY BY NOT ALLOWING THE USER TO LEAVE HIS PRINTER POWERED ON 24/7

THANKS FOR NOTHING ASSHOLES 

HP Recommended

@mshroyer1

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.