Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Because we've seen this issue coming up only with Windows 10 drivers.

You can try using the built-in drivers and see if tat helps: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

A solution sent to me by in message looks to have solved my own particular issue, it is printing in colour now anyway.

Hi @ldwilliams

Try adding the printer using the IP address -

1. Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box.
2. Choose “Printers & scanners“.
3. Select “Add a printer or scanner“.
4. Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it.
5. Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“.
6. Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list.
7. Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel. 
8. Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.  

HP Recommended

Hi @ldwilliams

Try adding the printer using the IP address -

1. Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box.
2. Choose “Printers & scanners“.
3. Select “Add a printer or scanner“.
4. Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it.
5. Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“.
6. Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list.
7. Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel. 
8. Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day ahead.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I do not seem to be able to click the 'accept as a solution' button as it isn't present. maybe because this was not my post originally and there was already a solution that the original post found to work.

More than happy to select it as a solution if it is possible?

HP Recommended

Hi @Asmita6658

Thanks for this tip - it seems to have got the printer colour options available. Please can you advise on the following:

1. When is HP going to fix the driver set to sort this automatically - no consumer should have to manually set an IP address on their printer and manually add the printer to their computer in 2020.
  2. If I reinstall the printer drivers and software after manually adding the printer in TCP/IP mode, is it going to revert back to the setting and stop the printer option appearing?
  3. I've wasted about 8 pages of my "instant ink" subscription trying to sort this issue - how can I get them back?

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

@PitRejection That's good, I'm glad you've got the colour options back, that said, here's the answers to your queries:

1. HP regularly updates the drivers, however, the suggest to use a manual IP isn't specific to your printer or HP alone, it's done across brands and multiple product lines, only to attain a stable network connection compared to the automatic (dynamic) IP.
  2. No, it doesn't have any affect on the driver, if the settings are saved on the printer.
  3. I can help you with the pages that have been wasted, all I need is:
    1. For you to check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it as I've sent out a list of questions and I could provide a better solution once I have the answers: 

Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums

We eagerly await your response,

Help us, help you.

And Take care.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.