Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
m1217nfw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!  I have a m1217nfw that simply refuses to complete the software install.  i already have a deskjet installed, so i uninstalled that one and the installer went a bit further, but still failed when it was "pre-installing drivers".  then the default failure screen came up asking me to turn the printer off and on.  this happened no matter which driver i tried, no matter how i wanted to connect the printer: wirelessly or usb.  i had no problem connecting to the network with the WPS option given in the printer menu.  i ran the "doctor" program and it found the printer but said it needed software and linked me to the same software that keeps crashing on me.  once i connected wirelessly by WPS (no problem at all), windows saw the printer under "printers & scanners" and "devices & printers", but also told me it had no software.  it was not present in deivce manager at all.

?

thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there! @berbes, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have issues installing the printer software on your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

What is the error you get when you install drivers on your PC?

Please try the steps recommended below.

When you are prompted to connect the USB cable during software installation, use the Device Manager to manually select the printer driver. Follow these steps to open the Device Manager and select the printer driver to complete the software installation.
On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon (), and then click Control Panel. The Windows Control Panel opens.
Click System and Maintenance, and then click Device Manager. The Device Manager window opens.
Click View, and then select Show hidden devices from the drop-down menu. A list displays in the Device Manager window.
Click the plus sign () next to Printers to expand the listing. From the listing, right-click HP Universal Printing PCL_5 (or PCL_6 depending on the version), and then click Update Driver Software. The Update Driver Software screen displays.
From the Update Driver Software screen, click Browse my computer for driver software, and then click Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer. The Add Printer Wizard screen displays.
From the Add Printer Wizard screen, select your printer driver from the list, and then click Next. The driver installation process begins.
   NOTE:
Do not select the Universal Printer driver on the Add Printer Wizard screen. Make sure to select the printer that you are trying to install.
When the driver software installation is complete, click Close to close the Update Driver Software window. The original software installer window displays and the software installation continues automatically.
When your software installation is complete, click Finish.

Let me know if this works!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello MR and thank you for your time.  i cannot get to that screen, as the installer crashes during the "preloading drivers" window is showing and the line at the bottom is beginning to fill left to right.  

is there a way to load those generic hp drivers through windows 10, without loading the installer?  

thanks for your knowledge!!!

HP Recommended

@berbes, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Try uninstalling the printer drivers from root level and try installing the drivers again.

1. Navigate to Start >Type Devices and Printers in the Search > Select it from the results

2. Highlight your printer object and Right Click

3. Choose Remove Device

4. Highlight something else from the list

5. Click the Print Server Properties button from the toolbar

6. Select the Drivers Tab

7. Highlight the appropriate print driver

8. Click Remove

9. Check the Remove Driver and Driver Package option when prompted

10. Click OK

Please update the full feature printer software using this link.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Happy Weekend! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.