Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8715
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My printer is not communicating with my laptop.  This is a recent problem as it worked fine a few days ago.  When I try to connect the printer to the internet, the prompt asks for the network security key.  When I enter the key, the prompt says the key is incorrect.  It is not incorrect.  What now ?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@dt1957, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Are you able to connect other devices to the same wireless network using this wireless password?

Make sure the wireless password you are entering on the printer is correct. You may refer to this document to know how to find it.

Reset the Network settings to defaults and try connecting the printer again

On the printer screen, go to Setup > Network > Restore network defaults.

Restart the network devices

1. Turn off the Router, Printer, and the computer/ mobile devices.
  2. Wait for 60 seconds.
  3. Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize.
  4. Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself.
  5. Turn on the computer/ mobile devices.

Now, go to Network setup > Wireless > Wireless setup wizard.

If you are trying to connect the printer using Wifi-Direct, the default password is 12345678

If you have changed the password, print a Network configuration report to retrieve it.

1. On the printer control panel, touch the Setup icon .

2. Touch Tools.

3. Swipe down the display, and then touch Network Configuration Page.

For more info on connecting the printer using Wifi Direct, refer to this document.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am new to this. so I just activated new modem/router from comcast. My hp 8715 does not see network. all other devices see network. I have restored hp settings back to default. setup wireless and it still does not see my network. I even type in the name of the network and network key/password. Still no good. reset modem 

HP Recommended

Hi @paulwhynot

Are you using a dual band router? 

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.