Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
officejet 3830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can't get my office jet 3830 to install wirelessly (Network Printer) on my desktop.

This seems to have happened since I update to the Windows 10 ver 1909...coincidence?

It prints fine from my Laptop.

This is driving me nuts.

I have downloaded drivers repeatedly uninstalled and reinstalled the printer numerous times.

I don't know what else to do.

Any help would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@memojo

This might require remote access of the computer to fix this issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@memojo

Welcome to HP support community.

Are the printer and computer connected to same network?

If yes, follow the below steps:

Restore network settings to default settings

1. From the Home screen, touch (Wireless), and then touch Settings .

2. Touch Restore Network Settings.

3. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Update the printer firmware

Follow the steps mentioned in this document:- Click here

Connect the printer using wireless setup wizard

1. From the Home screen on the printer control panel, touch (Wireless).

2. Touch Settings.

3. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard or Wi-Fi Protected Setup.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

On the same network. When I try and connect wirelessly it says it doesn't find my printer. 

When I look at devices and printers it says one of the printers is an hp693c1b (hp officejet 3830), but when you mouse over it ...says no driver.

The other printer that shows up there is HP Officejet 3830. I can tell they aren't right because if I right click either one, there is no offering for default and other choices are missing too.

Right clicking on printer icon says: Open, open in new window, create shortcut, remove device, troubleshoot, and properties. 

HP Recommended

@memojo

Perform root level uninstallation to remove all the printer related software's.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Restart the PC again.

Download and install printer full feature driver

Click here to download the driver.

I hope that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry to report, that didn't help. I did make some observations that I will report on here:

#1 After doing the installation..in devices and printers: The printer shows HP693c1B (hp officejet 3830 series) but when you "mouse over it" it says "driver is unavailable".

#2 when installation ends it says unsuccessful network installation (the device was unable to be installed over the network)

This absolutely baffles me: This printer worked on this computer before I updated to Windows ver. 1909, which I know could be a coincidence. I've also tried to connect it using the usb connection and it won't even connect that way.

With all this said...my laptop, on the same network, works wirelessly just fine and my wife's laptop works as well.

Sure is strange. I'm thinking of buying another printer, but it probably won't be an officejet 3830.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Is there nothing else to try? Should I look for another printer or another computer?

HELP Please. I can't afford either at this time.

HP Recommended

@memojo

This might require remote access of the computer to fix this issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Sandytech. I did as you said and contacted HP support. The tech got into my computer, and found the Windows 10 "windows installer in services was broke. He did install an hp generic driver and got the printer to work wirelessly, He also put me on to a scanner software (free) from the MS Store. I am going to try and contact MS and see if they can fix the MS software "services" issue with the windows installer. Again as I was saying this printer problem all started with the windows upgrade to Ver. 1909. I think there must be a software file in windows got corrupted or altered in some way during the upgrade. That might explain why two of my laptops worked with the same printer after the upgrade to Ver. 1909, and the desktop didn't work after the upgrade.

Thank you for all you tried to do. I appreciate your efforts very much.

HP Recommended

@memojo

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future of you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.