Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
photosmart 7520
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

When I go to print a photo from my pictures file, I used to get a print dialog box after selecting the photo(s) to print, giving me the options of what size paper, what size photo, which paper tray, paper orientation (landscape or portrait)....etc.  All of a sudden, out of nowhere, when I click to print a photo, it automatically starts printing based on the default settings, most of the time NOT what I want.  How can I get my print dialog box back, so I can once again choose the settings I desire for each individual print job, instead of the default settings always being used.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@rhicks

@rhicks wrote:

When I go to print a photo from my pictures file, I used to get a print dialog box after selecting the photo(s) to print, giving me the options of what size paper, what size photo, which paper tray, paper orientation (landscape or portrait)....etc. 

All of a sudden, out of nowhere, when I click to print a photo, it automatically starts printing based on the default settings, most of the time NOT what I want. 

How can I get my print dialog box back, so I can once again choose the settings I desire for each individual print job, instead of the default settings always being used.

I am making some assumptions here -- I do not know precisely what you are doing.  In other words, definitions and descriptions matter.

Assumptions include:

• Pictures File is a Folder on your computer
  • You have installed the Full Feature Software for your printer and that software is functional
  • You have not very recently upgraded your Operating System to Windows 10
  • Image / photo files on your computer are associated with either Photos or Windows Photo Viewer.  This means that when you Open the image / photo file, it opens using either the Photos application or the Windows Photo Viewer software.
  • (That) I am correct about File Explorer and its ability to support the print dialog (in Windows 10).

Open File Explorer > Navigate to Folder > Right-Click on photo(s) > Print

Windows 10 and all recent printer software (about which I am aware) depends on print options being set up / adjusted within the application / program you are using to submit the job to the printer.

This means that if you simply right-click on the file and "Print", you are bypassing any application / program that would provide the setups / options.  File Explorer (formally Windows Explorer) is not capable of providing photo print options (print dialog).  

In other words, File Explorer can "print"; File Explorer cannot set options for the print action.

NOTE:  Way back in XP (and perhaps Vista), Windows Explorer could pop the print dialog with "Right-Click on file > Print

What to do?  (These should work regardless of whether I am right about File Explorer)

Option - Preview photo(s) in photo viewing application / software and print

Open File Explorer window (formally Windows Explorer) >

Navigate to Folder > Select (highlight) one or more photos >

Right-Click on the photo / group of photos > Select Preview  *

This action will open one or more selected photos in the default image viewer application / software associated with this filetype.

Once the file(s) open, select to Print and set the print options > print each photo

For example, if your photo files are set to open with Windows Photo Viewer, each file will open in that program so you can select print options and print the file.

* Select "Edit" as opposed to Preview and the file(s) will open in the default software capable of allowing edits (crop, for example).  In some cases, this software may be different from the application / software used by "Preview".

Option - Open groups of photos / images in Photos > Select and print

Windows key > search for Photos application > tap to open the program

Scroll the list > Select file (photo / image) > Set options and Print

Option - Use nice Photo print software that supports single / multiple prints and other projects

Download, save, and install HP Photo Creations

General Reference:

Dragon Document - Help, Suggestions, and Examples:

Print - Programs_and_Methods

Sections – various, including:

• Preparation
  • HP Photo Creations for Windows and Mac
  • Printing with Paint
    • Print Photo at Desired Size
  • Printing Photos with Windows Photo Viewer for Windows

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You!

Answered? Click my post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Your assumption of image being opened in the PHOTO program was incorrect.  My images were default open in PAINT program.  I have changed the default opening back to PHOTO program and tried printing again.  Everything came out perfectly, print dialog box came up and was able to make appropriate changes to print options as I wanted.  Thank You Very Much.

HP Recommended

@rhicks

OK --  Paint is certainly going to give a different view when opening an image.  

For the record, you can print from within Paint -- and depending on the situation, the program can be a good choice.

I am glad it is resolved -- such is the power of deduction.  Smiling.

Happy Printing.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

If I want to print from file explorer (actually, hoping to use the print to PDF option, to choose order and turn multiple PDFs into one file) and whenever I right click and click on print (for any file, not just PDFs), it prints straightaway and doesn't open the print dialog box (which I need for the purpose of print to PDF) first.  How do I change this? I was able to do the Print to PDF feature in windows 7, and it's disappeared since I recently upgraded to Windows 10.  Does anyone know how to put it back in again? 🙂 This is not the first thing I've lost since windows 10 was forced on me! The above reply to the previous person didn't work for me, I have no "preview" option when right-clicking.

HP Recommended

@TKMaxx

Right-click (on the file) bypasses the Print Dialog (Print Preview).

Access the Print Dialog (Properties, Print Preview, Page Setup):

Open the file to be printed in an appropriate program for that file type.

For example,

• Open Word files in Office Word or a similar Word style editor

• Open PDF files in a PDF Reader program or in Word

Reinstall / Update your PDF Reader (Adobe Reader DC / Foxit Reader)

Note that the printer software "likes" to have Adobe Reader DC installed and up-to-date.

• Open photo and image files in an appropriate photo / image printing program of your choice

Windows 10 provides several simple-to-use photo / image programs.

Examples include:

Windows 10 Photos application

Paint

How to Make Windows Photo Viewer Your Default Image Viewer on Windows 10

From HP:

HP Photo Creations for Windows and Mac

• Scan pages of PDF or image data into one file or into separate files

The printer software provides scanning function.

Windows 10 Fax and Scan

Webscan (from printer software Embedded Web Server). 

HP Scan and Capture is available from the Windows store.

Dragon Document - Help, suggestions, links to how-to videos, and examples:

Scanning Program Options

Topics / Sections – various, including:

1. Know and Understand Scan DPI / Scan Resolution options
  2. HP Scan Extended – Exceptional standalone scan program:  Single, Multiple scans, image and PDF scans, Auto-Crop!
  3. NAPS2-- Not another PDF Scanner - standalone program scans PDF files and image(s) as PDF file(s)
  4. Printer Software (Full Feature Software > Printer Assistant)
  5. HP Scan and Capture
  6. And others…

Reference

Dragon Document - Help, suggestions, and examples:

Manage Print Output with Print Preview

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.