Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
laserjet m1212nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my hp printer is not showing up on my pc. it says the app is being prevented from downloading it. the administrator is in control. how do I tell the administrator to allow it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@spicynomad

Welcome to HP support community.

Follow the below steps to fix this issue:

• Go to your Start menu and under the 'search programs and files' box type CMD.
  • CMD will populate as a search option above, just right click on it and 'run as administrator'.
  • Once CMD (Command Prompt) opens, type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter.
  • Next, close CMD and restart your computer.
  • When your computer comes on log into the new account that should show. It will be called Administrator and will not have a password on it.
  • If your computer automatically logs into your account after the restart then go to your start menu and click the arrow beside 'shutdown' and choose 'switch user'. Now log into the Administrator account we just unlocked.
  • Under the Administrator account, install the printer software.
  • Test the printer.
  • To turn off the Admin account start back at step 1 and type in net user administrator /active:no.

If you are still having this issue, it may be the User Profile. Create a new User and try installing the printer on that Account.

• Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clicking User Accounts.
  • Click Manage another account.
  • Click Create a new account.
  • Install the printer on that account.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@spicynomad

Welcome to HP support community.

Follow the below steps to fix this issue:

• Go to your Start menu and under the 'search programs and files' box type CMD.
  • CMD will populate as a search option above, just right click on it and 'run as administrator'.
  • Once CMD (Command Prompt) opens, type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter.
  • Next, close CMD and restart your computer.
  • When your computer comes on log into the new account that should show. It will be called Administrator and will not have a password on it.
  • If your computer automatically logs into your account after the restart then go to your start menu and click the arrow beside 'shutdown' and choose 'switch user'. Now log into the Administrator account we just unlocked.
  • Under the Administrator account, install the printer software.
  • Test the printer.
  • To turn off the Admin account start back at step 1 and type in net user administrator /active:no.

If you are still having this issue, it may be the User Profile. Create a new User and try installing the printer on that Account.

• Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clicking User Accounts.
  • Click Manage another account.
  • Click Create a new account.
  • Install the printer on that account.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.