Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite HPE-490t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am trying to install the driver software for HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 and I am getting the following error message:

Call to DriverPackageInstall returned error -536870141 for package 'C:\Program Files\HP OfficeJet Pro 8730\DriverStore\MGScanDriver\HPWia_0J8730.INF'

Does anyone know what this error is and what I need to do in order to be able to install the printer driver software?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @acqnewport,

. Good day.:) A very warm welcome to you. I came across the post regarding installation issues.It  will be a delight to assist you with this.

Superb description, commendable troubleshooting and splendid diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 Thanks for doing business with Hp.I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

• Has the printer worked before on this computer?
  • Is the device manager blank?

This issue is slightly complicated and involves a lot of troubleshooting I request you to perform these steps diligently and patiently to try and correct the situation. 

Please keep me posted. I will keep a watch for your reply.

Please try these steps to uninstall the printer from the computer.

• Click the Start menu of the PC
  • Click on All Programs
  • Open the HP folder
  • Open the folder for the OfficeJet Pro 8730
  • Click on Uninstall option
  • Once the uninstall is complete the program will disappear
  • Click on the Start menu of the PC again
  • Click on Devices and Printers
  • Delete the OfficeJet Pro 8730 if it is still present
  • Select any remaining printer by left clicking once
  • At the top of the window click on Print Server Properties
  • Click on the Drivers tab
  • Remove any listings of the printer.
  • Then install the full feature software from here please select the correct operating system before installing.
  • Then check if the issue gets fixed.
  • If the issue persists, then perform these steps from this link one at a time to try and correct the issue. After each step please check if the issue is corrected. If it is you could ignore the rest of the steps. If it doesn’t work, then continue with further troubleshooting.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  🙂

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Greetings,

Thank you for trying to help me, but this is not my first time trying to install this software.  I have a HP Pavilion Elite HPE Series with Windows 7 software. 

However, this was my first time trying to install the software as "Administrator" but clearly this did not work either.

There is nothing to "uninstall" and no printer in CP/Devices and Printers and no Drivers installed.

I was able to install the software on my laptop, but since my latop does not have all the software my desktop does, I would like to get it installed on my desktop computer. 

I so miss installation disks... 

Thank you for your help.  I was REALLY hoping that someone from HP would be able to help me... but clearly that is not going to happen...  thank you for trying...

HP Recommended

Hi @jacqnewport,

I read the post completely. Thanks for the quick reply. Is the printer working fine on the notebook? If it is, then the issue is with the operating system of your desktop. 

Did you check the steps from the link that I provided in my previous post that states "perform these steps from this link"

It is exhaustive and copious. If you have tried all the steps and still the issue persists, I would request you to backup all your files and perform a re-installation of windows to factory settings. Then install the printer software. That should do the trick for you.

You've been simply amazing and meticulous in your troubleshooting paying thorough attention to detail. 🙂 Brilliant stuff. 🙂 Kudos to you for that. Trust me I've done everything I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. 

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.