Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
Officejet 4630 e-all-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have wasted days trying to get our printer working again since some latest windows updates. The only change was that each of the computers that has been updated to the 1903 update and subsequent security patches no longer print. The one that was not updated still prints fine, the others will not install the driver. I have tried manually installing and using the normal method. Printer say "driver is unavailable". If I try to manually install the driver, I get an error saying "this operation requires an interactive window station". I have reset the permissions on the system32\drivers and system32\driverstore folders to no avail. I have run dsim and sfc scan to potentially fix any corruption. I have tried installing the drivers using compatibility mode and it gets to the same place. I have tried using windows update to look for new drivers. I have tried root uninstalling the drivers rebooting and reinstalling. I have tried installing over network and installing with USB direct. Everything leads to the same place. The DRIVER WILL NOT INSTALL. 

I am paying for HP Instant ink...I need to fix this or I need to cancel that and go get another printer, maybe from another manufacturer. I have a brand new laptop (XPS13 2n1) that I purchased last week and has the same problem as my 1 year old desktop that was upgraded to 1903...both on 1903. The only computer that is working is a dell xps 13 that is still running the prior windows 10. The printer works when using this laptop, and when we send prints via the email @hpeprint.com...so I know the printer IS NOT THE ISSUE. The issue is the driver and the Windows 1903 + updates. Unfortunately, I removed the 1903 backup, so I can no longer revert to the prior version.
Also, using the HP Smart app, I can see the printer and all statistics normally, but when I click on the "print documents", it asks to install the printer and I get to the same place I have described above. I most recently tried this post, but it did not work - https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/Driver-Unavailable/m-p/6632903#M135275

Any help before my family make me go buy another printer? It seems such a waste since I am sure the issue is windows and the driver.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.