Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
7740 office jet pro
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Having 7740 for 2 years I've been collecting problems and errors.

Driver looses ability to set color,

scanner looses connection to some PCs

Now HP made a firmwareupdate and I am unable to use my refilled ink.

Is there a way to rollback?

This was the last HP printer for me!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @cpw4

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the  "Dynamic Security Feature Affecting Cartridges Using Non-HP Security Chip" issue. 

HP has a firmware update that removes the dynamic security feature, HP recommends that you use genuine HP ink or toner supplies. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP or refilled cartridges.

To remove dynamic security, go to the Software and Drivers Downloads page for your printer to install the latest firmware version. See Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware for more details. HP recommends you keep your firmware up to date for the best results.

This update disables dynamic security for printers manufactured before December 1, 2016. For printers manufactured on December 1, 2016, or later, dynamic security remains functional with this update.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

First of all: Thank you very much for your help!

Your first link doesn't open an existing page. Therefore I am not able to choose any firmware.

My Firmware is the 2007A.00

Are you sure this can be rolled back without using a programming interface?

HP Recommended

Try the link to install the firmware-Software and drivers

HP Recommended

Sorry, but the latest firmware IS the 2007A.00 I wanna get rid of it.

I want to roll back to a firmware who disables the not-wanted-"dynamic Security".

HP Recommended

Hi @cpw4

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

We are here to support you. Some non-HP branded cartridges are not working on HP OfficeJet or OfficeJet Pro printers. For us to help you with this, please contact us here.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That doesn't help. Telephone hotline says: "It is as it". There are no thoughts people just want to use their printers as they have bought them. If I hadn't several issues with the buggy drivers I would never have made an update of the firmware. There hasn't been a warning or anything else. If I want to use third-party-ink and I've been loosing my warranty, that's a choice only I can make. Not you. This behaviour leads to buying a printer from another brand and warning collegues, friendy and family of your understanding of "mine" and "yours".

If you are able to let me install a firmware which doesn't block third-party-ink, please let me know.

Furthermore, its a pain in the ass having to communicate online or on facebook or on WhatsApp. Why not to communicate with a german speaking support via eMail?

HP Recommended

Hi @cpw4

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

We are here to support you. Some non-HP branded cartridges are not working on HP OfficeJet or OfficeJet Pro printers. For us to help you with this, please contact us here.

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry, have you read what I wrote? Telephone Hotline was't able or willing to help. That isn't an answer to my question, too. Can I roll back my firmware? Answer would be Yes or No.  If yes I'd like to get a link.

HP Recommended

@cpw4

I'm afraid it is not possible to rollback the firmware update.

Thanks! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.