Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

OK...so I right click printer icon, then printer properties, then Change properties. I can get in this way. I click Advanced, Printing Defaults, Paper/Quality, set the tray to #2, OK. Then get out, try a word file. Still defaulting to tray #1.

Something is overriding all the defaults I am trying to set. Some global thing.

Should I delete driver, and download a new one? REboot everything?

HP Recommended

@foodguy1

@foodguy1 wrote:

I tried this just now...and everything on the Advanced Tab is "grayed out"...so I'm locked out of changing the default in this way. Is that a clue?

Assuming you are using an "Admin" style account (an account with Administrator privileges), then you should have access to things like changing Printing Defaults.  

Once the Defaults are set and left in place, they should at least stick until you reset / adjust the defaults for another job setup.

OK...

Guess 1

Open tab General:  If there is a "Edit form" or "Access forms" box, tap that box to "enable" edits.

Why / what?   This "let me in box" is something you would ordinarily see in Devices and Printers > left-click Printer >  Print server properties for creating a new form (Custom Paper Size) -- your software may be "locking" Advanced settings in Printing Defaults as well.

Guess 2  (Likely unrelated; hunting Easter Eggs...)

Set your UAC (User Account Control) "down" a notch from the normal "middle" setting.

Control Panel > icon view > User Accounts > Change User Account Control settings

Set the bar to the second position from the bottom:

"Don't notify me when I make changes to Windows settings"

There is a warning that the setting is "not recommended" - ignore it.  As long as you are nominally competent when using the system, you will be fine.  Advantage:  this setting prevents the screen from flashing when you are about to invoke an "admin" feature or change.

Picture worth a bunch of words...

Please take a Snip of the little menu with the "locked" Advanced tab bits and post the path used to open it.  If there is a tab "General", snip and post an image of that menu "page", too.

Create a Snip of the menu on the screen > save the snipped image as a .jpg file > and post it here.

Be aware, that the "picture" should be just the menu and not a screenshot of your entire screen else the image will be too small to see details when posted.

I am still assuming this should not be "rocket science" and that I am missing something simple about the way your print software works.

Will think on it...

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@foodguy1

@foodguy1 wrote:

OK...so I right click printer icon, then printer properties, then Change properties. I can get in this way. I click Advanced, Printing Defaults, Paper/Quality, set the tray to #2, OK. Then get out, try a word file. Still defaulting to tray #1.

Something is overriding all the defaults I am trying to set. Some global thing.

Should I delete driver, and download a new one? REboot everything?

Sorry, we are "cross posting" over one another.  Smiling..

You can certainly "start over" -- frequently removing the existing driver > reboot > download and install a fresh copy of Full Feature Software > reboot -- does fix "strange and insidious" issues.

Consider: change the UAC setting (mentioned in my other post).

There is also the chance that Word is indeed interfering.  I cannot duplicate the problem -- once I set the "Tray 1" in the printing preferences, it is still there when I later invoke Print within Word 2016.

Word file

File > Print > Page Setup > Paper > Tray 2 > Set as Default > OK

Rats.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for being so patient. I'm out of time today...will pick this up later. Will try all this. 🙂

HP Recommended

@foodguy1

You are welcome.

I edited my earlier Post with this entry:

Word file

File > Print > Page Setup > tab Paper > Tray 2 > Set as Default > OK

Set tray 2 for "first" and "other Pages"...

Also:

Word document > File > Options > Advanced > Scroll down to Print > set "Default Tray" > OK

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.