Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi joesabeh,

I have tested this reg file on my Win 8 computer, and it works fine. Check out the document i attached with the steps to complete the registry update for the issue you are having. Let me know what you find out?

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

If it works in your windows 8 machine why doesn't it work int mine?

when I get to step 4 of your intructions i don't get the screen you say i should get. I just get what is inside the folder and when I click on it i get the below and no program runs.  it opens in a notepad window:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.hta]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htafile]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.hta]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.hta]
"PerceivedType"="text"
@="htafile"
"Content Type"="application/hta"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.hta\PersistentHandler]
@="{eec97550-47a9-11cf-b952-00aa0051fe20}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htafile]
"EditFlags"=dword:00100000
@="HTML Application"
"FriendlyTypeName"="@C:\\Windows\\System32\\mshta.exe,-6412"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htafile\CLSID]
@="{3050f4d8-98B5-11CF-BB82-00AA00BDCE0B}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htafile\Defa

ultIcon]
@="C:\\Windows\\System32\\mshta.exe,1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htafile\Shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htafile\Shell\Open]

is this something I could just copy and put in the registry???????????

HP Recommended

Hi joesabeh,

Did you do an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8?

Are you running a full version or consumer preview copy of Win 8?

I have recreated this registry file in my Win 8 computer. Try running this one, and let me know what you find out?

File association update

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

thank you for your help.  I cured the problem by refreshing Windows 8 and then making the first application on the computer the install of the HP printer.  I hope that any updates from HP do not cause the same problems. it is to hard to refresh windows and go about re-installing all my programs.  Again thank for your help in this matter

HP Recommended

Hi joesabeh,

Glad to hear that the refresh took care of the issue. That would have been my next suggestion. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

i used you recomdation for my printer and now my asst works just want to say thanks :Wink:

HP Recommended

Hi invmother1969,

Glad to hear the issue has been resolved. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I too had this same issue with my HP Officejet pro 8600 plus.   The printer worked fine, but the printer assistant shortcut would not work.   I uninstalled and reinstalled 5 times.   The link in this solution by the hp export worked!   Thank you VERY much!    

HP Recommended

I have the same problem installing driver for P100006 Laserjet in 8.1. I am looking at going to Samsung or Epson.

HP Recommended

I have tried the above directions several times with no success.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.