Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 6980
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The driver for the HP Deskjet 6980 for Windows 10 mistranslates colors sent to the printer. The only new driver for this printer is for Windows 7/64, so that is what I am using.

Specifically, YELLOW fails to print at all - anything colored Green comes out Blue. I have tested this capability by printing two versions of Color Bars. Indeed, no yellow is being printed, and all greens are printed blue. And, yes, I am using new color and black cartridges, so no need to ask about that.

I have built a completly NEW computer with NEW hard drives and a clean install of Windows 10/64 bit via USB 3.0 Drive. The only two things left over from my old Windows XP system are the printer and the scanner (HP Scanjet 4370) both of which worked perfectly on the XP system. The scanner has its own issues with Windows 10, and the HP Photosmart Premier won't run at all (but that's a different issue). I downloaded new drivers for both devices.

Apparently, from what I've been reading on HP's site, neither the printer or the scanner are being supported any longer. I really consider that very rude and unacceptable, especially since no suitable replacement printer is available new from HP with the good quality I've come to expect from HP.

All that said, does anyone know how I can get my printer to print YELLOW?

Proteus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

The Deskjet 6980 is available in the IN-OS drivers.

Win 10 In-OS drivers

Follow these steps

1. Right-click on the Start button (Windows icon)  select "Control Panel"

2. Under "Control Panel", select "View devices and printers"

3. Select "Add a printer"

4. If it finds your printer (assume you have your printer plug in via USB on your computer), follow the steps to install the In-OS drivers.  Else, select "The printer that I want isn't listed" > Next

5. In the next screen, select "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings"  > Next

6. Select "Use an existing port:" > Next

7. Select HP > HP Deskjet 6980 (HP) (we would recommend that you click on "Windows Update" as it would bring up the HP Deskjet 6980 Printer (HP) option.  Note that the "Windows Update" may take up to 10 minutes depending on how fast your broadband speed is"

Add a printer 5a Deskjet 6980.jpg

8. Click "Next" and follow the remaining steps to install your printer driver.

Hope that helps for Print.

Regarding your Scanner, can you try this:

HP Scan Extended

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Let us know if that works.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

The Deskjet 6980 is available in the IN-OS drivers.

Win 10 In-OS drivers

Follow these steps

1. Right-click on the Start button (Windows icon)  select "Control Panel"

2. Under "Control Panel", select "View devices and printers"

3. Select "Add a printer"

4. If it finds your printer (assume you have your printer plug in via USB on your computer), follow the steps to install the In-OS drivers.  Else, select "The printer that I want isn't listed" > Next

5. In the next screen, select "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings"  > Next

6. Select "Use an existing port:" > Next

7. Select HP > HP Deskjet 6980 (HP) (we would recommend that you click on "Windows Update" as it would bring up the HP Deskjet 6980 Printer (HP) option.  Note that the "Windows Update" may take up to 10 minutes depending on how fast your broadband speed is"

Add a printer 5a Deskjet 6980.jpg

8. Click "Next" and follow the remaining steps to install your printer driver.

Hope that helps for Print.

HP Scan Extended

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

HP Recommended

OK, I followed instructions as closley as possible. At first, my printer was not found, so I checked 'I've got an older printer' > Next, and the 'HP Deskjet  6980 series' popped up on the next screen. It asked if I wanted to replace the driver (which was already up to date), clicked 'yes'. It installed 'HP Deskjet 6980 series (copy 1), and set it to default printer. Ran a test page - OK (even if it didn't print any colors). 

Loaded up the Color Bars, clicked File/Print, checked if the (copy 1) driver was being used (it was), and printed. Still no Yellow! 

Only one thing remained to try - install a new color cartridge (existing cartridge was installed 3/23/16 - not new as I thought). Printed the Color Bars again, and VOILA! Every color printed correctly. 

Apparently, not printing Yellow with my new Windows 10 system was just co-incidential. My BAD! I'll accept 20 lashes with a wet noodle for not trying this first. In the past, the printer would refuse to print if the black or any one color is out of ink. The 'ink indicator' in the toolset hasn't worked in some time (it always shows 'empty' - even with new cartridges). 

The Scanner, however, is an issue. I'll try your suggestions and get back to you on that problem.

Thanks for your help. 

Proteus

HP Recommended

RE:

HP Scan Extended

This worked only partially. The file installed to C:\Proram File(x86)\HP\HP can Extendd\bin\HPScan.exe, which seems proper. 

Ran the program, which indicated that the right scanner was found (Title: HP Scanjet 4370). Tried to scan a pic (Color Bars used with the printer), (Destination: File type (JPG), Send to: Local or Network Folder), and 'Show Viewer after Scan' (checked).

The scanner seemed to scan the pic OK. It scanned quite fast indicating a "Preview Scan", then stopped - no preview (I did notice a 'quick blink' of the scanned image), and no 'Saved' file could be found. Only the 'Back' and 'Exit' buttons are active.

Actually, the scanner worked better BEFORE I installed HPScan (Preview, Final Scan, File Save), except the 'HP Photosmart Premier' program refuses to run. Again, this program ran properly with Windows XP, and I really like it.

Perhaps I should have installed Windows 10/32-bit instead of the 64-bit OS, but too late now.

Suggestions?

Proteus

HP Recommended

Hi @Proteus1946

Not sure if you can install a 32-bit Win 10 on a 64 bit PC.

Normally, we would advise users to uninstall and reinstall and there are many occasions the printer driver got installed successfully.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.