Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Windows will not see my printer as a printer.  It keeps adding it as a Bluetooth or other device.  When I try to add it as a printer it won't find it even though it is connected to the computer.  My computer is downloading updates and drivers automatically but it doesn't matter.  When I restart my computer after telling my computer to unistall the 1012 as a bluetooth or other devise it reistalls it as a bluetooth or other devise again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi bjgeibel,

Try with the steps provided in the next video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9wRFOibgXI

* Click on KUDOS thumbs up to say thanks,  :smileywink:     

* Click on the button Accepted Solution if the question is answered.

Best regards,

ferRX.

dodecaedro.gif

@ferRX / I am a volunteer posting answers on my own time.

View solution in original post

For those having trouble with DOT4_001 or PCL5** If DOT4_001 is not present, try selecting USB001 instead and continue with all other steps. For those having trouble with finding HP Laserjet 3055 PCL5, try using PCL6 instead. This video teaches you how to install the HP LaserJet 1010 printer ...
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi bjgeibel,

Try with the steps provided in the next video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9wRFOibgXI

* Click on KUDOS thumbs up to say thanks,  :smileywink:     

* Click on the button Accepted Solution if the question is answered.

Best regards,

ferRX.

dodecaedro.gif

For those having trouble with DOT4_001 or PCL5** If DOT4_001 is not present, try selecting USB001 instead and continue with all other steps. For those having trouble with finding HP Laserjet 3055 PCL5, try using PCL6 instead. This video teaches you how to install the HP LaserJet 1010 printer ...
HP Recommended

My version of Windows 10 must be a little differant.  I don't have a DOT-1 so I chose the one that had ( USB ) after it.  That worked when I hooked it up then.  Thank you very much. 

HP can thank you too.  When this one breaks I will then be buying another HP printer.

Brian

HP Recommended

Great 😄 

I am happy to see the steps provided helps you and  the install was successful. Smiley Very Happy

Using the HP Laserjet 3055 PCL5 driver to install the Laserjet 1012 in Windows 10 did the trick. 😉

Best regards,

ferRX.

dodecaedro.gif

HP Recommended

I tried the solution, but ran into a problem at the printer port phase as I do not have a true USB port appearing in the options.  These are the only ports I have listed (fresh Win10 Home build) for using an existing port: 

LPT1: (Printer Port) 

LPT2: (Printer Port) 

LPT3: (Printer Port) 

COM1: (Printer Port) 

COM2: (Printer Port) 

COM3: (Printer Port) 

COM4: (Printer Port) 

FILE: (Print to File)

IR (Local Port) 

PORTPROMPT: (Local Port) 

USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB)

How shall I workaround this?

HP Recommended

Hi @x1012,

Try with the USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB) 

Best regards,

ferRX.

dodecaedro.gif

HP Recommended

That was the first one I tried.  It attempts to print, but prints on the top of the paper "Unsupported Personality: PCLXL"

HP Recommended

Tried installing printer on Windows 10 using HP Laserjet 3055 PCL6 driver.  3055 PCL5 is not available.  Installation seemed to go well; printer shows up as ready, but nothing prints, no error message, nothing.

HP Recommended

Search for "HP Universal Driver" on the HP official site.

Click Download Now

Pick the appropriate region

Change Windows 10 64 bit to Windows 8 64 bit

Download "HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5 (64-bit)"

Open Printer and Scanner, Add Printer and Scanner, Printer I have isn't listed, Add a local printer with manual settings, 

select the Dot4 option,  select HP Universal printing PCL 5.

Profit!?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.