Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600
macOS 12.0 Monterey

I cannot get my HP Officejet Pro 8600 back online. I have tried using the Wireless Wizard Setup, but it still won't connect to my wifi. I have rebooted the printer, the Macbook, the Router, etc. I read someone's suggestion to go to my Printer/Scanner System Preferences, delete the printer, and add it back, so I deleted it, but now I am unable to add it back, because.... It is "Offline" and therefore undiscoverable!! I tried adding it back with its IP Address, but my Macbook Pro still can't find it because "there is a connection error." I'm using a Macbook Pro, macOS Monterey, 12.2.1.  I downloaded HP Smart, but it says the printer is offline, not installed, and the connection is inactive. I'm going bananas over here! Please help. 😫

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi@BootlegCo,

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing issues with the HP Officejet Pro Printer. 

I have a few recommendations 

• Click on start menu and search printers and scanners. Go to printer's list, and select your printer's name from the menu. Open see what's printing and set your printer as the default printer. Now reset the printer offline option from the menu.
  • Download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor (PSDR) tool to diagnose and fix your problem
  • Try Uninstall and Reinstall the FULL feature software 
  • Please perform a semi full reset on the printer and check.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Having the same issue.  I think you missed the issue is with OSX, not windows so no START menu.  FYI, I've opened System Preferences, printers/scanners.  None listed.  I click + and none appear.  Welcome suggestions for OSX

HP Recommended

Hi@blueispy1,

Thank you for responding, I appreciate your time and effort.

The most common issues that make a printer appear offline are old printer drivers, too many documents sent to the printer, network issues, loose cables, a paper jam or missing paper.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.  Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records.

1. Turn the Mac off and back on.
  2. Power cycle the printer.
  3. Make sure the printer is connected to the network or computer.
  4. Make sure the printer is set as the default.
  5. Delete any open print jobs.
  6. Uninstall and reinstall the printer.
  7. Reset the Mac's printing system.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.