Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 8600 Premium
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I can no longer enable Web Services on my HP 8600 Premium.

It used to work fine. Every now and then I would move the printer to a different computer in the house. Each time I would re-setup the printer again on the new PC, enable Web Services during setup, get the new claim code and setup ePrint.

But this time,  when I try to enable at the printer itself and it always returns the error: "Unsuccessful: Web Services (ePrint and Apps) could not be enabled."

When I try from the EWS, I get the same error on the printer, but in the EWS page, it gives a different error. The first time I tried, it said it couldn't do the firmware update. The second time, it said "Another person is currently registering the printer. Try again later." The third time, it said "Web services not enabled, to try enabling web services again, click the Retry button below." and when I try that, it gives this same error again and again. All this through EWS.

I have tried updating the firmware manually by downloading from HP directly then running the update from my PC. The update utility does locate the printer (which currently has firmware version CKP1CN1829AR, per EWS Printer Info Details page) but it lists the update as "Not applicable." The update version per HP website where I downloaded it, on there it lists the firmware version as 2011A. Also, the update is dated 10-31-2020 and I'm almost positive the printer hasn't been updated since then, but I can't be 100% sure it didn't update itself automatically at some point.

It seems to me the printer cannot check on its own if it is running the latest software, or maybe it cannot enable the auto-update feature. I also am not able to find anywhere within the printer's menu system an option to update the software or to enable auto-update, so I am guessing this is only possible once you enable Web Services, which it will not let me do, per all the above.

I've scoured the HP support forums here and found many others having this same issue on the 8600 but I only found one person who successfully resolved it, and that was by changing the DNS to Google servers, which I tried but that did not work.

I'm running Windows 10 64bit on a Dell 5520 and the printer is connected via WiFi, I do the Setup Wizard on the printer itself. Same setup that was working before.

Hoping someone here can help, thanks for your time!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @ReyXLP,

I have sent you a private message, please click here to access private messaging.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi @,

Thank you for the PM with the procedure for manually updating the firmware via USB port/stick. Per my PM reply to you last Friday, unfortunately, it did not work-- the printer powers up and although there is activity from the USB port green indicator light, there is no acknowledgement in the printer display of a firmware update detected or taking place, the printer just boots up like it normally does. When I check the firmware afterwards, it is still the old one.

Also, I did run the USB port diagnostic test from the Service Menu and it said "PASS", plus when I insert the USB drive after the printer has already powered up, it does recognize it properly as a drive having been inserted with zero photos or scans, etc.

Can you confirm that the reason Web Services won't work is that the firmware needs to be updated? Because while I would appreciate running the latest firmware, if that is not necessary to restore Web Services functionality, I'd rather not waste time on the firmware then. My priority and the reason I posted here is to get the Web Services working again. It used to work fine.

I would appreciate your response. Please advise - thanks!

HP Recommended

Yes, this is the reason for sure, see its description:

Spoiler

• Update certificate to maintain a secure connection to HP Cloud.
  • Security improvement.
  • General fixes.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/HP-Officejet-Pro-8600-e-All-in-One-Printe...

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi  ,

Okay then how do I update the firmware, please? The method you sent me via PM does not work and you did not respond to my PM.

Please let me know - thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi ,

Never heard back from you, following up on the above and also my PM.

Please respond - thank you and hope you're well!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.