Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8740
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

I can't connect my printer to my new WiFi network (fast cable using DOCSIS 3.1). It requires a password, but the printer won't let me enter it -- it shows the network as unlocked (having no security). How do I change the settings to enable the printer to detect the security for the network?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@AscottH

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Could you tell us the exact error you get or send us a picture of it?

Let us know 🙂

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry -- we were out of town for the week of Thanksgiving, and I just now saw this.

When I use the WiFi setup wizard to try to connect the HP 8740 to my new network, I get a list of available networks to join on the screen. All have padlocks next to them, except for my new network, which is also protected by WPA security and a password. The screen lists that network without any accompanying padlock. When I tell it to join that network, the printer screen shows an arrow circling that continues for a minute or more, then it gives me a message that it is unable to join that network -- but it never asks for the necessary password, because it thinks the network has no security.  I can find no screen or other mechanism which lets me change the settings for that (or any other) network as far as the printer is concerned. I finally gave up and just connected the printer directly to the router with an Ethernet cable, and now at least I can share the printer on the network.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.