Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
hp envy pro 6432
Other

I have HP Smart downloaded and set up on mobile (Samsung s20 Android 11) also tried on chromebook and Apple ipad. all seems okay on the app (Have HP print service plugin too) 

The wifi is okay on our phones/ipad etc. 

have tried troubleshooting advice but they really just tell me 'how to' connect to the wifi. The problem i am having is when pressing and holding the wireless set up button on the back of the printer, the wifi symbol light on the control panel does flash 2 or 3 times, but it doesnt remain lit up. I assume this suggests the printer has not connected to my wifi. therefore when back in HPsmart and trying to add the printer, it is unable to find printer. 

thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Michk6, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Follow the steps below-

heck for network issues and conditions that can cause printer setup with the HP Smart app to fail.

• Confirm the printer is not in energy saving or sleep mode: Press a button on the printer or touch the printer control panel to return it to its normal power state.

• Confirm the printer connection and network name: On your printer, make sure the wireless feature is on, and the printer is connected to the same network as your mobile device.

Some printers have a Wireless icon and a blue light on the printer control panel. Make sure this light is on and not blinking.

• Turn on Bluetooth on your mobile device: Go to wireless settings on your mobile device, and make sure Bluetooth is on or enabled.

NOTE: 

Bluetooth is used with some printers only during setup, and not for printing.

• Grant location access permission to HP Smart app: The HP Smart app uses the location to get the name of the network to which your mobile device is connected, a list of other available wireless networks, and to discover nearby Bluetooth devices for printer setup.

• Turn off or move nearby devices: Other wireless printers and devices that emit radio signals, such as microwaves and cordless telephones, can interfere with setup. Turn them off or move them farther away from your printer.

• Check the router band setting: Many routers can operate in both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz frequency bands, but not all HP printers support both bands. Make sure the 2.4 GHz router band is enabled and broadcasting. If the router broadcasts separate network names (SSIDs) for each band, connect the printer to the 2.4 GHz band SSID.

• Restart the printer and the mobile device: Restarting the printer and mobile device can clear possible error conditions.

• Restart the router: If you are experiencing a slow or intermittent wireless connection, try restarting your router. Consult your router manufacturer, Internet service provider, or network administrator for instructions on how to restart the router.

• Move the printer and router closer together: Move the printer closer to your wireless router, but no closer than 6 ft (1.8 m). Wireless signals can be weaker at greater distances between the printer and the router.

• Check for a Smart network switch or Switch to Mobile Data (Samsung devices): Make sure the Smart network switch option is off in the Wi-Fi settings menu.

NOTE: 

Not all Samsung devices have a Smart network switch option.

The Smart network switch option highlighted for Samsung devices

• Turn off cellular data (Android OS 7 and later devices): Temporarily turn off cellular data during the printer setup.

If you tried all the steps above and still could not connect your printer to a network, go to Printing with Wi-Fi Direct for more options.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.