Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6812
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I'm having an issue with my newly deployed Windows 10 image. I work in a college with 4,500 machines and nearly 50-60 network printers. We use print management for our staff & students, so we need to have our default printer set as our "Secure Print" for every user.

When my provisioning/imaging session completes, I check the Windows 10 settings for Printers to ensure that both the Secure Print is set as default and that "Let Windows Manage My Printer" is unchecked/disabled. I also check the old "printers & devices" section of the old Control Panel just for good measure.

The PCs do great for about a week until I start getting calls and emails saying the printer has reverted to "Microsoft Print to PDF". Something's causing the default printer to change to this, and I have no idea what. I know that in the case of default printers, the last printer to be installed is set as default. These "Secure Print" network printers are being installed through Global Policy, well after the fact that Windows 10 finishes its installation.

My only hypothesis is that Windows Updates is somehow updating/re-installing Print to PDF, causing it to become default.

I would love to find a solution if possible. Google searches only take me to "Disable 'Let Windows Manage My Printer'", which has already been done. I really don't want to uninstall Print to PDF, as I find it to be a handy tool, but if it's going to continuously fight for default on my machines, it's going to have to go.

Does anyone have any ideas? Speculations? Advice???

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Kinimaru, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Yes, Windows updates can cause this issue or if any user has installed this software and the change takes place.

You may run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

This will re-select the HP printer as default.

Press the Windows Key + S, begin typing and click on Turn Windows features on or off.
Find Microsoft Print to PDF and uncheck the box next to that.

To remove, click on Start > Settings > Devices. Click on Printers & scanners
Click on Microsoft Print to PDF.
Click on Remove device.

If the issue persists, I suggest you contact Microsoft if the issue persists. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.